Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot find 'rescan' in time capsule

Late 2009 MacBook OS X version 10.11.1, Time Capsule from 2010 or so. Have not used Time Capsule for 3 years (long story). Upgraded to El Capitan operating system, resulting in speeds comparable to the rate at which the glaciers created El Capitan in Yosemite National Park. Want to back up current MacBook prior to purchase of new computer. My Airport Utility does not open any instructions pages, only a ball that says the internet is connected. The single clickable tab brings up: "No new Wi-Fi devices discovered" or "No remote AirPort Base Stations discovered" I cannot find the 'rescan' button when I open Airport Utility. The MacBook has 2 popups every hour saying it cannot connect to my Time Capsule. I have been trying to follow instructions very intently, but the instructions do not match what appears on the screen. Euthanasia sounds good right now. In case it is not obvious, technical terms are sort of 'iffy' for me. Some I get, others not so much.

Be kind, help.

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009)

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 5:50 AM

You are suffering El Capitan upgrade sickness.

Do the following.. and good luck.. otherwise we have to freeze you in carbonite.

Start from a factory reset. No files are lost on the hard disk doing this.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Setup the TC again.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Mavericks--Yosemite--ElCapo. (MYELCAP)

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg TCgen5 for basestation and TCwifi wireless name.

If the issue is wireless use TC24ghz and TC5ghz with fixed channels as this also seems to help stop the nonsense. But this can be tried in the second round. ie plan on a first and second round of changes to fix this.. hopefully.. I will point out other steps that can be round2.

2. Use all passwords that also comply with 1. but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. If the TC is main router you can skip this point. This is only an issue when the TC is bridged.

Ensure the TC always takes the same IP address.. you will need to do this on the main router using dhcp reservation.. or a bit more complex setup using static IP in the TC. But this is important.. having IP drift all over the place when MYELCAP cannot remember its own name for 5 min after a reboot makes for poor networking.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. but this change will mess up your TM backup.. so be prepared to do a new full backup. Sorry.. keep this one for second round if you want to avoid a new backup.

5. Mount the TC disk in the computer manually.

In Finder, Go, Connect to server from the top menu,

Type in SMB://192.168.0.254 (or whatever the TC ip is which you have now made static. As a router by default it is 10.0.1.1 and I encourage people to stick with that unless you know what you are doing).

You can use name.. SMB://TCgen5.local where you replace TCgen5 with your TC name.. local is the default domain of the TC and doesn't change.

However names are not so easy as IP address.. nor as reliable. At least not in Yosemite they aren't. The domain can also be an issue if you are not plugged or wireless directly to the TC.

6. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only. Do the same for ethernet if you use it.

There is a lot more jiggery pokery you can try but the above is a good start.. if you find it still unreliable.. don't be surprised.

You might need to do some more work on the computer itself. eg Reset the NVRAM/PRAM/SMC.. has helped some people. Clean install of the OS is also helpful if you upgrade installed.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2015 5:50 AM in response to MokuCat

You are suffering El Capitan upgrade sickness.

Do the following.. and good luck.. otherwise we have to freeze you in carbonite.

Start from a factory reset. No files are lost on the hard disk doing this.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Setup the TC again.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Mavericks--Yosemite--ElCapo. (MYELCAP)

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

If the issue is wireless use TC24ghz and TC5ghz with fixed channels as this also seems to help stop the nonsense. But this can be tried in the second round. ie plan on a first and second round of changes to fix this.. hopefully.. I will point out other steps that can be round2.

2. Use all passwords that also comply with 1. but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. If the TC is main router you can skip this point. This is only an issue when the TC is bridged.

Ensure the TC always takes the same IP address.. you will need to do this on the main router using dhcp reservation.. or a bit more complex setup using static IP in the TC. But this is important.. having IP drift all over the place when MYELCAP cannot remember its own name for 5 min after a reboot makes for poor networking.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. but this change will mess up your TM backup.. so be prepared to do a new full backup. Sorry.. keep this one for second round if you want to avoid a new backup.

5. Mount the TC disk in the computer manually.

In Finder, Go, Connect to server from the top menu,

Type in SMB://192.168.0.254 (or whatever the TC ip is which you have now made static. As a router by default it is 10.0.1.1 and I encourage people to stick with that unless you know what you are doing).

You can use name.. SMB://TCgen5.local where you replace TCgen5 with your TC name.. local is the default domain of the TC and doesn't change.

However names are not so easy as IP address.. nor as reliable. At least not in Yosemite they aren't. The domain can also be an issue if you are not plugged or wireless directly to the TC.

6. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only. Do the same for ethernet if you use it.

There is a lot more jiggery pokery you can try but the above is a good start.. if you find it still unreliable.. don't be surprised.

You might need to do some more work on the computer itself. eg Reset the NVRAM/PRAM/SMC.. has helped some people. Clean install of the OS is also helpful if you upgrade installed.

Nov 25, 2015 7:57 PM in response to LaPastenague

Finally had time for this operation. The reset went well, in terms of getting the blinking amber light, etc. But -- I have a feeling the TC hooked up to my iPhone hotspot instead of my Wi-Fi. I shut off the iPhone and tried to initiate a backup. And I realize that the instructions were clear until step #5 about mounting the disk -- what disk? Uh oh.

At the moment I see a green light on the TC, but "there was a problem connecting to the server "MokuCats-Time-Capsule.local", 'The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.'

I think that means I have failed.

Nov 25, 2015 10:10 PM in response to MokuCat

"there was a problem connecting to the server "MokuCats-Time-Capsule.local",

That means you did not follow the advice

Point 1.

MokuCats Time Capsule is not a name according to the rules I gave you.. short, no spaces pure alphanumeric is it??

Please open the airport utility and start by fixing the name..

Click on the TC and then click edit.

User uploaded file

First page gives you the base station name. Fix that.

User uploaded file

Go to the wireless tab..

Fix the wireless name.

User uploaded file

Note carefully what you see on the first summary page.. there is the IP of the TC..

And I realize that the instructions were clear until step #5 about mounting the disk -- what disk? Uh oh.

Time Capsule disk.. ie the one you cannot find.. because you have not got it mounted or mounted correctly.

But there is a difference in El Capitan.. the Finder method to mount drives has changed.. This worked all the way up to and including Yosemite.. what apple were doing at El Capo I don't know.

Ok.. Click on the TC under shared in Finder.. Notice a new box on the right side of Finder screen.. Connect As.. Click that.

User uploaded file

Now it will ask you for the TC password.

Type that in,, plus store it in your keychain.. and then press connect.

User uploaded file

If you have issues.. lots of screenshots.. and we can fix most anything as long as we can see it.

cannot find 'rescan' in time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.