Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mixing Formats and Frame Size editing in FCP 6 1920x1080 mp4 & 1280x720 mov both 29.97

So I have footage from two different cameras at two different formats.

Editing in FCP Final Cut Pro 6. 1280 x 720 29.97 .mov and 1920 x1080 .mp4

I'm not sure what sequence preset to set it to. I've tried the same format and when I go to put in a transition and render it, it speeds up the video and then the rest of the transition left is black.

Sometimes this happens when it's an .mp4 before rendering into an .mov I have been able to by pass needing to export as .mov by when dropping in a clip and it asks you "this clip is different then the sequence preset, do you want to change the clip to match the sequence settings?" I put no. But any edit effect is speeding up after the render, even when exported,

I have another project coming up combined multiple formats. I want to be able to edit with transitions and effects without having to re-render the files before importing into fcp.

Please help if ya can!!!

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 11:18 PM

2 replies

Nov 16, 2015 12:12 AM in response to MellyMelBell

The problem is you are using a format (mp4) that is not native to FCP (possibly the mov as well as you don't mention the codec). You don't say the frame rate or codec of the mp4 either.

You will have the best results by using Compressor to reformat both clips to AIC HD (or ProRes) 1920x1080i 29.97 format. This is a native format and will allow the majority of the editing to be done without rendering. It will also speed up the export of the final timeline. In compressor, just use one of the HD presets, and you should be golden.

Good Luck

Nov 16, 2015 12:58 AM in response to Gary Sumlak

Convert to ProRes. As mentioned, FCP doesn't work well with non-editing codecs. MOV is just a container, but might be H.264. MP4 is another container, and might also be H.264. FCP doesn't work well with that. Convert to ProRes (not AIC...that's very lossy and lacks needed metadata, like timecode). Yes, the file sizes will increase, by a lot. But that's what you need to do.

Mixing Formats and Frame Size editing in FCP 6 1920x1080 mp4 & 1280x720 mov both 29.97

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.