Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto won't allow me to update to the newest version

According to App Store i am running version 9.6.1 of iPhoto and its suggesting an update, but when i attempt to update it won't allow me. The exact message shown is (after inputting the correct apple ID log in details) "Update unavailable with this apple ID - This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled"

Yet it seems to allow me to update other apps/programmes -numbers, keynote and pages all successful.

Im also running - OS x EL Capitan 10.11.1 MacBook Pro

Any help please

Matt

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 1:36 AM

5 replies

Nov 16, 2015 1:47 AM in response to Maffew85

i am running version 9.6.1 of iPhoto

That is the most recent version of iPhoto, so there is no need for an update.

Do you have an older version of iPhoto on a connected backup drive or somewhere remotely mounted on the network?

But check the version of iPhoto you are having installed in your Applications folder to be sure you are really running the latest version. It should look like this in the Finder.

User uploaded file.

But anyway, the updates tab of the AppStore is no longer working for iPhoto, because Apple is no longer develloping iPhoto and stopped selling it from the AppStore. If you really need to update, it can only be done by reinstalling from the Purchases history.

see Barney's User Tip:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

Nov 16, 2015 2:42 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the swift reply.

i doubt I have an older version as only had laptop from new a few months, not sure I've even done a back up. Not sure how too. Still kinda new to the whole Mac thing from Windows ha

im at work at the minute so will check the iPhoto app in applications when I get home.

THe the link through AppStore is where having the issue. Thanks

Nov 16, 2015 3:39 PM in response to Maffew85

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Nov 16, 2015 3:42 PM in response to Maffew85

Then it would be good o be ale to update to version 9.6.1.

Have you looked at this link? Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

The updates tab does not work any longer.

Do you see iPhoto on the fourth tab of the App Store - Purchases, when you sign into the AppStore with your AppleID from the Store menu?

Only from the Purchases list is it currently possible to update.

If you are seeing iPhoto there

• Quit iPhoto if it is running
  • move iPhoto from the Applications folder to the Trash, but don't empty the Trash
  • Reload the App Store Purchases tab.
  • Click the Install button to the right of iPhoto. The button needs to be showing "Install", not "Update".

iPhoto won't allow me to update to the newest version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.