Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beats Updater just bricked my Studio Wireless!!

After Upgrading to iOS 9, my beats studio wireless (new ones) got some problems with it so i decided to update its firmware after installing Beats Updater It said an update was available. Downloaded it. Starting, updating, then said it could not be completed. Now my beats are inoperable. and won't turn on...

Is there any way to unbrick my headphones by myself?

P.S.: Tried to Reset it many times (hold the power for 10sec) and it didn't work too. 😟

Beats Studio Wireless

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 4:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 1:06 AM

I finally found the actual problem. The reason why the update is interrupted is because the beats drivers is not digitally signed. On windows you must remove the restriction of windows blocking the drivers that are not digitally signed. For example on windows 10:

Click the Start menu and select Settings.

Click Update and Security.

Click on Recovery.

Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.

Click Troubleshoot.

Click Advanced options.

Click Startup Settings.

Click on Restart.

On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement. Your computer will restart and you will be able to install non-digitally signed drivers. If you restart your computer again the driver signature enforcement will be re-enabled. Then you run the beats updater while the headphone is on update mode (flashing light left and right) and blam! It will work and continue the update. Windows seem to block the driver because its not digitally signed by apple.

52 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2017 1:06 AM in response to Armaaan

I finally found the actual problem. The reason why the update is interrupted is because the beats drivers is not digitally signed. On windows you must remove the restriction of windows blocking the drivers that are not digitally signed. For example on windows 10:

Click the Start menu and select Settings.

Click Update and Security.

Click on Recovery.

Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.

Click Troubleshoot.

Click Advanced options.

Click Startup Settings.

Click on Restart.

On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement. Your computer will restart and you will be able to install non-digitally signed drivers. If you restart your computer again the driver signature enforcement will be re-enabled. Then you run the beats updater while the headphone is on update mode (flashing light left and right) and blam! It will work and continue the update. Windows seem to block the driver because its not digitally signed by apple.

Nov 19, 2015 12:18 PM in response to Ole no.4

for these kinds of wireless headphones that have the capability of updating firmware, they should at least create a better application that can easily download the firmware file and then put it on headphone, something like iTunes, not a cheap web browser based updater !!! or even a option like DFU mode.

Anyway in that case that can anything happened during updating firmware process, can cause a soft bricking (that happened to you) or at the worst case (hard bricking) that happened to me!!

Dec 4, 2015 4:54 AM in response to Armaaan

I bought a pair around a month ago, did the update (blissfully unaware that there was an issue before updating), had the exact same problem and then found this thread with a bit of googling. Contacted Apple Support, no dice - I bought mine via Amazon so just returned them as not working for full refund.

Amazon were out of stock so I bought them via Apple on line, they arrived first thing - I registered them and the update option appeared on the update app again, after 10 minutes of 'should I, should't I' I tried the update again.........SAME RESULT! Contacted Apple Support...slightly more inquisitive this time, they asked what machine I had used to update them?

I am using a 2015 MacBook - this question got the wheels turning in my head; I disconnected the Beats from the MacBook and plugged them in to my old knackered Windows 7 work laptop (Dell machine). Downloaded the windows version of the update software - I initially got the same error as with OSX but when I disconnected and reconnected as per on screen instructions the update worked and the Beats rebooted and powered on!

Well that's a bit awkward Apple - the update didn't work via OSX but it did through Windows?!

Dec 12, 2015 5:01 AM in response to Armaaan

Unfortunately this problem still persists in 10.11.2 and also with Beats Wireless just bought the last days (not the newest firmware on them, though). Had this problem, too. Sorry, for my bad English, by the way, but I was extremely angry about that and found this thread on google, just wanted to help others facing this.

I'm from Germany and a software developer myself. If I or any other person of the companies I work for would bring out such a bugged, obviously untested mess of a software (there seem to be a lot of others affected by this), I or he would be fired the next day without any question! I will probably stay by my B&Os and send this headphones back, as I would be ashamed of wearing this brand in public transport.

My environment: OSX 10.11.2 El Capitan, Macbook Pro late 2015, Safari 9.0.2 and Chrome 47. Also tried it on my business HP with Win 7, as someone mentioned it here, but was the same with it.

What I did: Just the things in the description, installed the Beats Software (by the way, Webinterface with Sockets for a firmware update, are you kidding me?), plugged the headphones in with the original Beats USB Cable. Software recognized them, started Update, boom! Update interrupted without doing anything. After that, the white LED bulb circle of death going on and off. Even after turning the headphones off, they went on again and stayed in update mode, even after reset, whatever. Unplugged, plugged in again, switching them off and on again, refreshing the update website, rebooting the machine, nothing.

If you are facing this, try this to complete the update: Unplug the headphones, refresh the update website, that there is the animated waiting circle, searching for Beats. Turn the Beats off (by holding the power button for about 4-5 secs), plug the Beats in, at the same time, turn the Beats on again, BUT keep holding the power button! If I released it (as seen in the description for resetting it), it was the same thing again: Can't find the beats, "Are you completely dumb and plugged them in?"-site coming up, button to "Contact our genius somewhat and spend your valuable time, cause we can't apply software"-website...

So just KEEP holding the power button. Then, the update unexpectedly went on with step 2 after waiting a few secs. But as I wrote before NEVER stop holding the power button of the headphones during that update, until it is finished!

Hope, this helps some people out there. And Apple/Beats: Be ashamed for that really poor QA. Wasn't the first time. WLAN not working correctly for nearly 3 months after 10.10... was there something?!

Regards

Dec 24, 2015 1:38 PM in response to verheadert

I tried this and went through some 40 minute thing with Apple just letting them sit. However as a last result I tried completing the update on Windows 10. Though it did take several tries on Windows 10 using Edge as my browser it was finally successful. Hopefully I'm able to help anyone else who experienced the same problem if they were unable to do it on OSX.

Dec 27, 2015 8:37 AM in response to verheadert

this worked with my beats as well. it takes a long time. I stopped pressing the button and went to pick up my windows laptop to try this solution.

after returning to my mac the update continued and finished.

so, it is working somehow. I tried I guess 50 times until it worked....

frustrating and a shame for apple to provide that kind of "update" software ....

Beats Updater just bricked my Studio Wireless!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.