Related Article: If your MagSafe cable or power adapter isn't working

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi all. When I plugged my European Magsafe 2 45W Power Adapter into the socket in Hong Kong, I heard a pop sound and smelled burning plastic. Now it doesn't work. Is this normal? Is is completely dead? Thanks

Hi all. When I plugged my European Magsafe 2 45W Power Adapter into the socket in Hong Kong, I heard a pop sound and smelled burning plastic. Now it doesn't work. Is this normal? Is is completely dead? Thanks

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 5:33 AM

3 replies

Nov 17, 2015 3:03 PM in response to S Lawrence

Hi S Lawrence,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

If I understand correctly, your MagSafe 2 Adapter is no longer working after plugging it into the wall socket and hearing popping sound. It sounds like your MacBook Air accessory could need service, try taking it in for an evaluation as suggested in the article below.

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters - Apple Support

Whether or not your product is in or out of warranty, you can take your adapter to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and replacement if necessary. Pending the results of the evaluation, you may or may not be eligible for a replacement adapter free of charge. Signs of accidental damage would negate any coverage. Be sure to bring in the computer used with the adapter; it is required to process potential adapter replacements.

Also, this webpage provides a lot of great information about the available service options for your Apple devices:

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

So long.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.