Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.1 crippling battery drain and bugs

Hi, I have a number of crippling battery issues since I upgraded my iPhone 6 to iOS 9.

I'm now on 9.1 (13B143) and my battery drains almost completely over night while the phone is "asleep".

I tried everything people have suggested in these forums and on the web. Location is off. Bluetooth is off. Background app refresh is off. No apps are running. iTunes wifi sync is off. Switching iCloud keychain off changes nothing. Hard reboot changes nothing. Reinstalling the entire OS changed nothing.

Second, I cannot properly investigate the issue because the battery info has been broken ever since the 9 beta versions (I'm now on the release version). It doesn't show which apps use the battery. There is always the same message: "battery info will be available after using iPhone for a few minutes". It never becomes available. I have an iPad using the exact same iOS version without any battery issues.

What I do see is the usage/standby stat. It is completely off. Even after hours of not using the phone, "usage" is always more than half of the entire time. So apparently, something is using the phone and it's not me.

How can I find out what is using the phone while it is supposedly asleep?

Any help is greatly appreciated because at this point the phone is near unusable.

Cheers

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 7:57 AM

11 replies

Nov 16, 2015 9:54 AM in response to xjx

My first question is, why are you not charging the phone overnight? That's when it backs up to iCloud, when it's charging, the screen is locked and it's connected to WiFi. It's also then fully charged and ready to go in the morning.

If the phone is not plugged in and it's asleep, it will be connecting to cellular data rather than WiFi (another potential downside to not having it plugged in).

This is one of the best articles I know on battery issues:

http://appinstructor.com/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-dra in

Nov 16, 2015 10:29 AM in response to xjx

xjx wrote:

Second, I cannot properly investigate the issue because the battery info has been broken ever since the 9 beta versions (I'm now on the release version). It doesn't show which apps use the battery. There is always the same message: "battery info will be available after using iPhone for a few minutes". It never becomes available. I have an iPad using the exact same iOS version without any battery issues.

If you are not seeing this, and the other statement you make about usage and standby, then you need to restore the device to factory, and not add any additional content to the device and test that way. If there is no content added to the device and you have restored to factory and still experience rapid battery loss, then there is a hardware problem. A 24-hour test should be sufficient. Use this support document for information on restore to factory. Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If the restore to factory has the device working properly, then there is corrupt data in your backup and you will not be able to use it. You will need to sync data back to the device manually.

Nov 16, 2015 1:34 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

OK, great, that worked.

I did a factory reset as a new iPhone and I did _not_ restore any backups. I later reconnected to my iCloud account and enabled the iCloud photo library. I have all my photos, contacts and calendar entries back and the battery is still fine. Even the per app battery usage view works now. So not restoring the backup after the factory reset is what does the trick.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers

Dec 1, 2015 6:50 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Had the exact same issues with a brand new 6s 64GB on iOS 9.1 and was about to return to the AT&T or Apple store.

Charge to 100% at 5pm, leave it off/unused all night, wake up to a dead phone or 5% battery.

I'd reset & restored firmware many times, setup as a new phone, even tried 9.2 beta - same issue.

Yesterday I tried a restore to factory as described above, setup as new phone and then DID NOT connect to my wifi network, setup icloud, or siri. I only enrolled fingerprints.

This morning I've got 100% battery.

I'm going to slowly enable connectivity today, without restoring from any backup and see what happens.

Fingers crossed that the problem is fixed for good.

Thank you!

Dec 2, 2015 2:29 AM in response to JulesApples

I Have a strange problem with my iPhone 6s.

When is cold outside (1/2 degrees over the 0) and I use it for 10/20 minutes the iPhone turn off and say low battery (recharge screen if I try tu turn on it) also if I have 30/40% of battery.

Another strange think is that sometimes the % decrease very fast when I use (safari in this case) and other times is very slow to decrease.

i Checked logs error and I have many with bug_type 120 and one per day with 156...

someone has a solution?

Dec 2, 2015 4:48 AM in response to Macallock

Macallock wrote:

I Have a strange problem with my iPhone 6s.

When is cold outside (1/2 degrees over the 0) and I use it for 10/20 minutes the iPhone turn off and say low battery (recharge screen if I try tu turn on it) also if I have 30/40% of battery.

Lithium ion batteries will drain much more rapidly in very cold conditions. Which temperature scale are you using? If you're using the phone in zero degrees Farenheit, you're using the phone will outside its operating parameters.

iOS 9.1 crippling battery drain and bugs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.