Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect from Windows 7 laptop to Mac Mini El Capitan over local network

Hi,

So Im having trouble connecting from my windows 7 acer laptop to my new mac mini running El Capitan OSX 10.11. I have successfully connected from the mac to windows 7 and can access files this way round, but from windows to the mac I keep getting the 'Enter user name and network password' box. When I enter the password for the Mac it tells me that its incorrect. I have checked it many times and am sure its right and tried all passwords I have. The laptop can see the Mac-Mini under networks, just wont let me connect without a password, which wont work. In the past I have successfully connected this same windows laptop to my older imac running 10.6 and mapped drives over the network no problem, no password box used to appear.

I have read and followed all the advice on this forum and else where on the web. Setting up identical account with user name and passwords, making sure file sharing SMB is enabled on mac, changing my windows 7 settings to disable password protection etc etc. From what I've read there was a change in security software protocol from apple in its later OS as other people have tried and failed to get this working with Windows 7, same network password problem.

Does anyone know of any ways round this? I've tried looking into disabling the windows security options to stop it asking for a password but have come up blank. The frustrating thing is the laptop can see the mac but fails to connect due to this password/ user name issue. I am trying to network map an external hard drive that I have connected to my mac mini from my windows 7 laptop. As I mentioned, I had it working fine with my older Imac so its more than frustrating. If anyone could tell me if upgrading to Windows 10 would fix this that would be good, although I would prefer not too.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 9:28 AM

2 replies

Cannot connect from Windows 7 laptop to Mac Mini El Capitan over local network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.