Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple and Metrolinx introduce PRESTO card for iPhone and Apple Watch. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iPhone 5s battery suddenly draining so fast? Even after clean reinstall!

I've had a problem with my iPhone 5s battery, which started on 31st October BEFORE I updated iOS to the latest version.

All of a sudden I found my battery draining by 10% an hour, it even drains if all apps are shut down and the phone is in airplane mode. First thing I did was update to the latest ios, no change. I switched off background app refresh, no change. I rreset my phone, no change. I wiped and restored my phone through iTunes, no change. I went to the Apple Store and they did a battery check and my battery is at 103% (ie very good condition) and said to do a "new phone" reset. Now I've done that and no change. It's really frustrating as there appears to be no obvious software or battery problem yet my phone drains away within just a few hours with no use, even if in airplane mode. Note that Facebook isn't installed (suggested to be the cause of a similar problem recently).

My phone is just out of warranty, and Apple say they want £199 to fix the handset (or more accurately, to give me a replacement), which I find frustrating when they can't diagnose any problem - how do I know it won't just happen again?! It's unclear whether this situation is covered by UK consumer law (up to 6 years reasonable expectation to be free from defect http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/ ).

Roll back 12 months where similar problems reported on forums were reportedly down to issues with iCloud accounts, and high data usage for "documents and sync" background activity. As it happens my data usage seems unusually high for the last month, but if I turn off iCloud and mobile data there is no significant change in my phone performance.

if my battery is fine, and the proble started overnight with no obvious cause (I don't recall installing any new software just before it happening), what else can I reasonable do to try to fix this problem? It's a trek for me to get to the Genius Bar and, helpful as they were at the time, I feel like they've done all they are willing to do right now.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1, New phone restore complete

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 3:02 PM

5 replies

Nov 21, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Quanthro

I'm struggling with this. Ive tried switching off iCloud and doing a system reset, no change. I can't understand why Apple confirm the battery is in good condition but it just drains away even with a new phone set up. The only thing that I've "carried over" from my previous set up is my basic information including contacts etc. - it seems you can't set up the iPhone without an apple ID so I had to do this really.

Nov 22, 2015 8:12 AM in response to cee hanh

The battery doesn't seem swollen. The Genius Bar ran a check and confirmed that the battery is in very good condition.

THere is no particular app that's showing as being a significant drain on system resources under the battery option in settings. The Genius Bar confirmed there was no particular issue observable there. I actually tried another phome reset yesterday (and the problem continues) but as I've hardly used my phone since then (apart from to charge it three times!) iOS says it can't populate a list of app battery usage yet.

It's so frustrating that this problem just manifested itself overnight yet Apple cannot identify a hardware fault and don't seem interested in trying to resolve any software issue.

Nov 23, 2015 2:48 PM in response to Quanthro

I have exactly the same problem, but in an Iphone 4s. I was already in 9.1, and the problem suddenly started a couple of days ago. I have tried everything like you, but the problem continues.

A weird thing that i've detected is that the battery usage is never avaiable, it doesn't matter how much time i've been using the phone, it never shows up.

The battery is in perfect condition, i don't know what else to do and some help will be really appreciated.

Why is my iPhone 5s battery suddenly draining so fast? Even after clean reinstall!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.