Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage: how to enable

I changed apple ID and now I failed to enable a new one in iMessage. Has anybody any ideas?

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply
2 replies

Nov 18, 2015 2:04 PM in response to askhat4good

Hi,

If the Messages App > Preferences > Accounts > iMessages lists an Apple ID already you can Sign Out.

When you then go to Sign In you can change the Apple ID is in use (the old one minus the password will appear in the box just type over it.)

Once set up the Send and receive iPhone Numbers and Apple IDs and any other ID you list are held in com.apple.ids.service.com.apple.madrid.plist

You can also delete this file and force the iMessages side to start again as it were.

Open a Finder window and use the Go Menu whilst holding down the ALT key.

Navigate to Preferences and find the .plist and drag it to the Trash then Restart Messages

User uploaded file

10:04 pm Wednesday; November 18, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

iMessage: how to enable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.