Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beats Studio Wireless Renders Bluetooth Unusable

Hello All!

I have an issue and I am not able to determine if its an OS X issue or a hardware issue with the Beats Studio Wireless headphones but here is how it plays out.

I have a 15" MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2014 running 10.11.1 (although this issue has been occurring since at least 10.10.4 if I recall correctly). The MacBook Pro is connected to a Thunderbolt Display and I have a Magic Keyboard and a Magic Trackpad 2 connected to the MBP over bluetooth. It's also worth noting this issue occurred with the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the original Magic Trackpad, so this does not seem related to the new 'Magic' devices.

Most of the time I turn on my headphones, they connect right up and I play my music watch videos or whatever I need to do and everything is fine. But every 2-4 days or so, I turn them on, they connect, but then all bluetooth devices connected to my Mac become unusable. The audio through the headphones is choppy, I hear about 50% or less of the audio, the keyboard lags majorly and sometimes glitches where it will get stuck repeating a key that was pressed once, and mouse tracking and clicking are extremely jittery and delayed. I turn off the headphones and everything goes back to normal. I turn them back on and the issue comes back. However, if I restart my Mac, I can use all 3 devices without issue for another 2 to 4 or so days before the issue re-occurs. Any idea what may be going on?

Thanks for your input!

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 4:12 PM

3 replies

Jan 10, 2017 6:54 PM in response to rollingphoto

I have the same problem with an extremely expensive Mac Pro, the old Magic Keyboard / Trackpad combination and Beat Studio Wireless headphones. I'm able to replicate it consistently. Every time I turn on the beats wireless device and connect it to my Mac Pro, the mouse and keyboard start lagging horribly.

The audio has always been choppy and the sys.log says that bluetoothaudiod is dropping packets because there are too many waiting. In a few weeks my airpods should arrive and if the issue persists with these headphones I will take it to the store and have them replace the bluetooth sensor under apple care. If it doesn't then I will assume it's due to the poorly built nature of the beats headphones.

My last and final act of desperation will be to buy a cheap usb bluetooth dongle and bypass the system one. For a machine that costs this much, it's really sad that I may have to resort to such things to use it as sold.

Apr 4, 2017 11:30 AM in response to mdpeterman

Same issue.

OSX 10.12.4

Macbook Pro 13,3 2016

Brand new beats headphones, with the apple chipsets in it.

Issue exists with both the old magic trackpad and the newer version. I've tried both.

When I have the headphones connected to OSX i will constantly loose the audio or then loose the trackpad. It happens every 30-60 seconds when trying to do anything of volume. Worst is trying to do a video conference with Skype, that will cause an immediate disconnect of the headphones and then when they try to re-connect the trackpad will no longer function (disconnect). They go back and forth like that.

I don't have time for 4 phone calls to Apple about a BS issue with a $2700 laptop and a $200 set of headphones....that will surely end with go to the genius bar 1hr away....

When I do have time, I'll call just so Apple knows this is pretty silly. I guess no one ever tested the beat's headphones...made by Apple.....with an actual Apple computer and it's apple components? I use my Surfacebook 1/2 of the day now...and that *****.

Nov 20, 2015 10:08 AM in response to mdpeterman

I am having the same problem in regards to the headphones. I don't have the new mouse or keypad, the old bluetooth ones. This is happening with my iMac 5k. What I find I have to do to fix it is, while the headphones are connected, I have to use a second mouse to disconnect the other, then re-add it, then the problem stops - at least until I turn the headphones on. Also, as I type this I watch the letters appear three words back. I reset the SMC and PRAM yesterday, while on the phone with Apple, telling them about this for the fourth time. They required I take it to the store, which I did, and they told me there I had to fill out a form online since they do nothing there, apparently. They were trying to say it was software and the iTunes issue was probably a feature. The iTunes issue being if you stream "Beats" the screen won't go to sleep. A feature, I think not. This problem is getting worse by the day and I really think I have hardware problems that they don't want to fix since I did buy the plan - they were quicker to fix my iphone back in the day when I didn't add the insurance. OS X El Cap, which this has, I can't say cases the issue since this all happened months before that ever touched this computer. I do, like many others, think El Cap is garbage in many ways so some of the issues I saw before it was installed could have been the pre-updates going on by other software.

Beats Studio Wireless Renders Bluetooth Unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.