Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ghost Email Account - Can't Find Or Delete

I am using Apple Mail as my email client. I have several websites and corresponding email accounts I use with this program (in addition to gmail and icloud email accounts).

For one of my website email accounts, I incorrectly set up the email account with the wrong "user" let's say it was "contact@websiteabc.com" Instead of putting the user name as "contact@websiteabc.com" I accidentally entered only "contact" in this field.

I started getting my IP blocked by my hosting company when I tried to access my corresponding site (websiteabc.com) because MAC mail was trying to access my email from my server using the wrong account name. When it had three failed log in attempts, the server blocked my IP.

I found out from my hosting company that it was due to this incorrect email login request. Therefore, I tried to fix it. I went into "Mail, Preferences, Accounts" and changed the user name to the correct version and double checked the password." However, It still kept blocking my IP. My hosting company confirmed that they were still getting login attempts from my IP with the old incorrect user name even though I changed it in the account information field

I then completely deleted the account from MAC mail (I actually deleted and recreated several times after just deleting didn't work). However, even with the account completely deleted from MAC mail, my website was still getting login attempts from my computer using the old user name and account information. So, I continue to get blocked from my own website. This really confuses me as there is NOT even an account matching the website/email address listed in my active accounts in the "Mail - Preferences - Accounts" tab and a big pain as I have to call my hosting company ever day to unblock my IP.

So, it seems that somewhere there is a ghost account or somewhere else that MAC mail is storing this original incorrect account and sending out a request to my website from my computer?

My question is --> Where/why is this happening and how do I permanently fix the issue?

I'm using MAIL version 6.3. Operating System: 10.8.3

Thanks.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 5:40 PM

13 replies

Nov 18, 2015 3:13 PM in response to Climbgal

Have backups before making changes — Time Machine or other form. More than a few folks here don't have Time Machine or some other backup tool configured and running, and that's putting your data at risk.

As for the changes, there may well be more than one entry found in the list of SMTP servers. You can remove the entry within the list of SMTP servers. You'll usually want to remove all but one entry associated with the particular pair of account and server within the list of SMTP servers. Worst case, you remove it and have to add it back in, or you remove it and remove and re-add the account.

Mail.app — and mail in general — involves two separate sets of credentials, the one that everybody sees that controls the POP or IMAP access and the server name and ports and the username and password that is associated with receiving and sending mail via the POP or IMAP server, and the second set of credentials for the SMTP server — which can be a separate username and password and an entirely separate SMTP server, etc — that controls sending out SMTP mail. It's the latter credentials that Eric Root is referencing.

Nov 19, 2015 2:30 PM in response to Climbgal

Look for an entry for the POP or IMAP server with the wrong credentials, too.

I'd probably change the Wi-Fi password, and see if that prevents the lock-out, too. That'll force re-entering the credentials on all other local devices, but before that happens you can see whether there are still account failures happening, or not. If the failures are happening, they're arising from the device(s) that have your new Wi-Fi password.

Nov 20, 2015 6:08 AM in response to Climbgal

Climbgal wrote:

Thanks for all of your help Mr. Hoffman and Eric.

I did have a question about where I should look for an "entry for the POP or IMAP server with the wrong credentials, too?"

Thanks again!

The POP and IMAP credentials are the ones you can see by default, for each Mail account.

Mail > Preferences > Accounts > select each account in turn > Account Information.

If the entry doesn't indicate the "Account Type" is a POP or IMAP account at the top of the account information, ignore it.

If it's a POP or IMAP account, then see if it's associated with your mail server. If it is, make sure the password is correct.

Also check whether there's something else using the same server, such as Notes.

 > System Preferences > Accounts.

Scroll down through the list of accounts there, selecting each in turn, and see if there are any that are using the same (problematic) mail server. You may or will have to click on the Advanced button for each entry, to see the server information.

Nov 23, 2015 8:19 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hi MrHoffman.

Thanks for your additional insights. I did find an account under  > System Preferences > Internet-Wireless > Mail, Contacts, Calendars that matched the one that was setup with the wrong user name. The Account was marked as active in "Notes" only (and not Mail). But, since it had the wrong user name just as it is being submitted to my website server, I'm hoping that this is the root issue. I went ahead and deleted the account there. It will take a day or so to see if I get blocked again, but this seems like the most promising fix yet.

Thanks so much for all of your help! If this fixes it, I owe you big time as I've had to unblock my IP everyday and it is becoming a big pain in the behind.

Hope you have a great week. The Karma Gods are smiling on you!

Nov 23, 2015 2:00 PM in response to Climbgal

Climbgal wrote:

I did find an account under  > System Preferences > Internet-Wireless > Mail, Contacts, Calendars that matched the one that was setup with the wrong user name. The Account was marked as active in "Notes" only (and not Mail).

Notes are stored on the specified mail server. That's almost certainly your culprit, or at least one of the culprits — if there's another account around.

Ghost Email Account - Can't Find Or Delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.