Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help with how to create a movie of my iPhoto album to show "Faces"

I've spent a lot of time carefully organizing and labeling a large album of family photos in iPhoto. Family members in each photo are now properly named and added using the "Faces" function. I did this with the hopes of creating a movie of the album to share with my family. During the movie, I was hoping to have those "faces" identified using all that work I did naming them in iPhoto. I was also hoping that each face would be named one at a time (and then disappear) before showing the next face in the same picture. This would prevent overlapping of names and crowding or obstructing the view of the picture. For instance, in a photo with many people standing close to each other, the faces would overlap if that all showed at the same time.

Can iPhoto do this? I spent a long time doing this and don't have the time to relabel each picture using a different software or spending lots of money on a different software that I will only use once. There are hundreds of pictures and it would be a shame to need to re-do all the work I've done to make it work.

Thanks for your help.🙂

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 7:28 PM

3 replies

Nov 16, 2015 10:36 PM in response to Luke Grode

If you want just one face to show at a time from a crowd, then you will need to crop each face from the image into a new image and use that. SO, if you have - for instance - a photo of 10 people you'll need 10 different crops, once for each of the faces.

Can iPhoto do this? If you crop for each and every face yes. It might be better though, and faster for you, to use an app that could pan across the faces, pausing as it goes. I understand that you don't want to use a new app, but you might ask if iMovie has that fine control on this. Frankly, what you want to do is going to be a long job no matter what app you use.

Nov 17, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for taking the time to reply! During the slideshow or movie, I'm not looking to have each person cropped from each photo to make separate photos to show one at a time if that's what you mean. That would make for a really long slideshow. I'm just looking to have the names of the people shown one at a time during the time the photo is shown in the slideshow. If there is an app that can do it, I just wanted to avoid re-naming everyone. Perhaps there's an app that can take the "face" information from iPhoto and use it to do what I want. Can the face information be exported to another program, like iMovie?

Thanks again

Nov 17, 2015 9:39 AM in response to Luke Grode

I'm just looking to have the names of the people shown one at a time during the time the photo is shown in the slideshow. If there is an app that can do it, I just wanted to avoid re-naming everyone. Perhaps there's an app that can take the "face" information from iPhoto and use it to do what I want. Can the face information be exported to another program, like iMovie?

There is no way or app to take the faces info and add it to a slideshow or iMovie. However, you may be able to add the names to subtitles in iMovie. Haven't used it for that since iMovie 6 HD so can't comment from experience.

You can add the faces, in order of appearance from left to right in the title field of each slide in the Photos slideshow:

User uploaded file

It'll look different depending on the theme used. It just won't work with some themes.

Or, you can export the photos to a folder on the Desktop and add the names to the image with a 3rd party editor and import them back into Photos to use.

Some Image Editors That Support Text and Layers:

Photoshop Elements 11 for Mac - $79

GraphicConverter - $40Rainbow Painter - $30

Affinity Photos- $50

FX Photo Studio - $30

Inpaint - $20
Imagerie - $38
Acorn - $50

Pixelmator - $60

Seashore - Free

GIMP for Mac - Free

User uploaded file

Please help with how to create a movie of my iPhoto album to show "Faces"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.