Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Missing File

I want to cry. I just spent HOURS editing a movie!

I imported the files from my iPhone then deleted from my iPhone after import to save space.

so the only copy I have is in iMovie.

I had an SD card that I use for extra space - That is where my iMovie library is.

It is full so I could not export or share to vimeo without getting an error.

So I thought I would copy the project to my hard drive.

I clicked projects, then the circle with 3 dots, then MOVE library....

About half way through I got an error where it said something along the lines that it can't move because of some temp error.

Then i got this missing file https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzviyvk4c2ge0k3/Screenshot%202015-11-16%2022.25.19.png ?dl=0

Now my whole project is gone and it was not moved successfully. It is just MISSING!!!

I tried to look for the missing file and its gone!

When I click on the project itself I see this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzviyvk4c2ge0k3/Screenshot%202015-11-16%2022.25.19.png ?dl=0

Just a big scary Missing File!

All because I tried to move it and it got an error while moving.

The original file was imported to iMovie and I don't have it anywhere else!! So I can't re-import it...

The new location on my hard drive is also empty!

Is there anyway to recover my file?? I am very upset about it!! Why did iMovie delete it when I was just trying to move! It did not even move it!

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 7:35 PM

4 replies

Nov 17, 2015 1:29 AM in response to strawberry cake heaven

I am confused. These are the options when you click on the circle to the right of a project name:

User uploaded file

You can move a project to another library if you have already created one (above there is no second library). I assume that you moved your project to a library on your HD.

If you look at the 'LIBRARIES' list in the 'Media' view and open both of your libraries what do you see?

Geoff.

Nov 17, 2015 5:55 AM in response to GeeD

For me the Move Library option was not greyed out.

I have my SD card with a library on there + Also I had my regular hard drive library. (so I have 2)

From my SD library, I clicked the circle and choose Move Library. It was doing it for about 2 minutes then a big error appeared. and it stopped and then I saw the Missing File with the big question mark on it.

Now I search everywhere and the files inside my events are missing, also the project is missing. It is actually a black box with the words missing on it!

The error stopped the attempt to move it and corrupted all the files!

Nov 17, 2015 7:21 AM in response to strawberry cake heaven

The command is not 'Move Library' (there is no such command anywhere) but 'Move (project) to Library'. This should have moved your project (nothing else and not the whole library) to your other library. See: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7 under 'move projects between libraries'.

Again, If you look at the 'LIBRARIES' list in the 'Media' view and open both of your libraries what do you see?

iMovie Missing File

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.