Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 11 vs 9.0.9 crashes after upgrade to El Capitan

iMovie crashes after upgrading to El Capitan. I select New Project and accept the defaults (Widescreen + 30 fps)

On the first screen all I try and do is add a title screen. I drag a title screen across to my project window and the application crashes. I tried rebooting and doing it again with nothing else open and I get the same problem.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 8GB RAM

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 7:36 PM

Hey bigandlittlebear,
If both versions of iMovie are crashing on you, you might want to try them out in a different user on your computer.
If you already have another user, log out of your account and sign in with the new account to create a new movie project to see if it crashes. If you don't have another account to test with, take a look at the article below for the steps on creating a new account and then repeat the steps to test iMovie. Doing this will help understand if it is something related to your user or just iMovie having an issue.
Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201516

Let me know what you find out.
Take it easy

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2015 7:36 PM in response to bigandlittlebear

Hey bigandlittlebear,
If both versions of iMovie are crashing on you, you might want to try them out in a different user on your computer.
If you already have another user, log out of your account and sign in with the new account to create a new movie project to see if it crashes. If you don't have another account to test with, take a look at the article below for the steps on creating a new account and then repeat the steps to test iMovie. Doing this will help understand if it is something related to your user or just iMovie having an issue.
Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201516

Let me know what you find out.
Take it easy

Nov 26, 2015 7:40 PM in response to norm123

Thanks, I reverted back to Yosemite, so I cannot see if this would fix that problem but after I did go back, the next update for safari cause make loading issue and web content crashes that did not happen if I used a different browser. I used your suggestion of creating another user and the problem went away. It was very helpful. I will try it for the OS X upgrade later if I get the same original problem, when I next attempt to upgrade to El Captain. Thanks.

iMovie 11 vs 9.0.9 crashes after upgrade to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.