Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HBO Go and Apple TV "Unavailable"

When I enter my HBO Go app, I am greeted with a black screen and the message, "HBO GO is unavailable. Try again later." I can't go into the app in order to deactivate and perform any of the troubleshooting that HBO Go suggests.

The Apple TV is working fine for other apps such as Netflix and the Apple TV/Movies. My roommate's Apple TV is exhibiting the same message. I am able to log in to HBO Go on my Macbook Pro without a problem. Other roommates are able to watch HBO Go on different devices.

This all leads me to believe that it's a problem on Apple's end. Anybody else experiencing this problem with some sage wisdom or advice to get the ball rolling again? Thanks in advance.

Apple TV

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 8:22 PM

13 replies

Nov 18, 2015 9:20 AM in response to TJGroth

Roommate here from the original post. I want to add that we've both been in contact with HBO and all they've told us to do is check the internet connection, which is fine (netflix, hulu, amazon all work just fine). I've tried clearing the cache and doing a complete reset and that didn't work either. I believe we both have 3rd generation Apple TVs which makes them about 4 years old.

Nov 18, 2015 9:32 AM in response to TJGroth

If you’re having issues with HBO GO on your Apple TV, try restarting the device. To do so, go to Settings > General > Restart.

If you can't restart your Apple TV because it's unresponsive, try the following:

1. Hold down Menu and Down on the Apple Remote for six seconds, and then release when you see the indicator light on the Apple TV blink rapidly.
  2. Unplug the Apple TV power cord for three seconds, and then plug it back in.

If restarting the device does not resolve the issue please follow all of the steps below:

1. Deactivate the HBO GO application
  2. Clear the cache on the Apple TV (Hold down the Menu button for 10 seconds)
  3. Power cycle the Apple TV (Power On/Off)
  4. Confirm Apple TV software is up to date (Install available Apple TV software updates)
  5. Reactivate the HBO GO application

If this is unsuccessful then you may need to factory restore the ATV3- Restore your Apple TV using iTunes - Apple Support:

Nov 18, 2015 9:32 AM in response to Protodd

I have tried all of the above steps to no avail.

I have even reset the Apple TV altogether, and I'm still getting the same error message. I can't deactivate the HBO Go application because I can't get into the app. All I see is the error message and a black screen.

I believe this is a problem on Apple's end.

HBO Go and Apple TV "Unavailable"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.