Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Edit Photos

I imported hundreds of photos from a DVD without problem. I can view and increase the view size of all photos but for 20% of them I cannot export them and cannot edit them. If is select to edit them the control gray out and if I attempt to export them the message is the photo cannot be found in spite of being visible and able to be increased to full size.

How do I fix this

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 9:53 PM

Are you seeing this warning, when the file is enlarged, or only when you try to edit or export?

User uploaded file

If the warning appears only when you try to export or edit, Photos has lost the connection to the originals inside the Photos library.

Make a backup of your Photos library and try to repair your Photos library.

See this Help page: https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.0/?lang=en#/pht6be18f93

Repair your library

If you experience problems with photos in a library, Photos can try to repair it. If problems persist, you can also restore your library from a Time Machine backup.

Important: You should back up your photo library before repairing your library.

1. If Photos is open, choose Photos > Quit Photos.
  2. Press Option-Command and double-click the Photos icon in the Applications folder (or click the Photos icon in the Dock).The Repair Library window opens.
  3. Click Repair to rebuild your photo library.

Is your library an iCloud Photos Library?

Note: If you use iCloud Photo Library with Photos, this action will cause Photos to re-upload all your pictures. It may take as long as the original upload.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2015 9:53 PM in response to dbail22

Are you seeing this warning, when the file is enlarged, or only when you try to edit or export?

User uploaded file

If the warning appears only when you try to export or edit, Photos has lost the connection to the originals inside the Photos library.

Make a backup of your Photos library and try to repair your Photos library.

See this Help page: https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.0/?lang=en#/pht6be18f93

Repair your library

If you experience problems with photos in a library, Photos can try to repair it. If problems persist, you can also restore your library from a Time Machine backup.

Important: You should back up your photo library before repairing your library.

1. If Photos is open, choose Photos > Quit Photos.
  2. Press Option-Command and double-click the Photos icon in the Applications folder (or click the Photos icon in the Dock).The Repair Library window opens.
  3. Click Repair to rebuild your photo library.

Is your library an iCloud Photos Library?

Note: If you use iCloud Photo Library with Photos, this action will cause Photos to re-upload all your pictures. It may take as long as the original upload.

Nov 16, 2015 10:55 PM in response to léonie

Tried the repair twice and also repaired overall file permissions. The message is more truncated than the one you display. It only says "Photos cannot find the photo ......... " with the name following. It has no option to find the ?/Missing photo. Photos stored on the local drive. Checked permissions on the photos folder, and nothing has worked. When I zoom it it shows the full resolution image. I will continue trying....

Nov 17, 2015 12:07 AM in response to dbail22

you are having the rare problem, that Photos cannot find original image files that are managed inside your iPhoto library. That why you are not seeing an option to reconnect the missing files. if repairing does not fix it, there is no tool in photos to fix the problem.

restore the previous version of your library from the last backup.

or try to open your library in PowerPhotos. The trial version of PowerPhotos is free. If Powerphotos can open your library, try, if it can find the originals.

if yes, you can use PowerPhotos to merge your library into a new, empty library.

Nov 17, 2015 10:37 AM in response to léonie

I have found that this problem is due to importing images into Photos from a DVD. Three separate times I deleted all of the imported photos and then imported new images from the DVD. Each time about 20% of the images were unusable and not the same images. I then copied the images from the DVD to a local folder and then imported them from that folder. No problems. The DVD has no problems and copied quickly to the HD without stalling on any files.

I then tried the same thing from a DVD that was 4 years old and found images that were also problems with that import.

Trying importing about 10 files at a time from a DVD also produced good results. So my new rule is "if you have more than a dozen images to import, copy them to the HD before importing them".

Nov 30, 2015 11:36 AM in response to léonie

I have a lot more images now that were imported in various ways (desktop,camera,card,etc) where I cannot edit or export the image. I can view the image at a very large size in full resolution (36inch monitor) but all the editing tools are grayed out and I receive the file not found error when trying to export. I am not sure why I can see a full scale image (and zoom into it) but the image cannot be found?? Is there a utility that can find all of these broken images (I have over 8,000 images)? If there are dozens instead of hundreds or more, I can take a screen shot and re-import it with acceptable results.

Cannot Edit Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.