Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail constantly downloading messages

Hi all,

I've recently performed a clean install of OS X El Capitan on my mid 2102 Macbook Pro (Non Retina) and restored on to it my user folder and settings from before the installation (I was running the latest update of OS X Yosemite).

Since then, I have experienced an issue where Mail constantly lists in its activity that it's downloading messages.

The amount of message varies from time to time and would range between 1,000 to 100,000 messages.

This issue occurs several times every hour.

Obviously, I don't get more than a 1,000 messages every few minutes and the size of the files on my disk stays the same, so these are definitely the same messages Mail had already downloaded when I initially performed the account setup.

The reason this bothers me is that it slows down the performance of my Mac, especially when working in Mail (which is one of my top 3 apps in OS X).

In addition, it severely drains the battery.

I've seen several posts with no solution that helped me fixed the issue.

I tried to disable and enable the account and I've also tried to recreate the account.

I tried to follow the steps provided at http://www.needhelp4mac.com/2015/10/troubleshooting-apple-mail-in-os-x-10-11-el- capitan/ which I saw posted in a similar thread - Mail constantly downloading messages | How to reset Mail?

However, all of these steps did not solve my issue.

My account type is an Exchange account and I'm running the latest 10.11.1 update.

If anyone has any other idea of something I could try, please let me know.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Yair.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 17, 2015 2:50 AM

121 replies

Apr 1, 2017 9:32 AM in response to Lifewith4sons

I've just tried something that seems to have helped.

First, note that in my three Google accounts in the "Internet Accounts" section of "System Preferences" I had previously disabled all but the "Mail" and "Calendars" internet options (see screen shot to make clear where I did that)User uploaded file

This did not do anything to solve my CPU problem, but I was trying to minimize the number of variable.

Next, in the same "Internet Accounts" section, I went into these three email accounts and unchecked the "mail" and "calendar". I now had nothing checked for all three Google accounts. The CPU problem went away. I wasn't surprised.

Then, I thought I would switch on each of the "calendars" and "mail" options for each account, one at a time, to see which one might cause the problem to resurface. After switching them all on methodically, the CPU did NOT come back! How about that.

I am not convinced the problem won't return, but at least I can operate in a fairly normal manner for now. And, who knows, maybe this corrected it long term.

....Peter

Sep 26, 2017 1:25 AM in response to yairz

Hello yairz, I have the same problem. In my case it was partially mitigated by limiting the IMAP folder size in my Gmail account:

User uploaded file

Try and see if you have a similar option in the settings of your email provider. That might not solve the issue completely, but it might help limiting the load on your local email client.

Jan 11, 2017 9:58 AM in response to yairz

I had this problem. New iMac began using 15 Gb daily download. I used Little Snitch to trace the source to the Mail app and within mail to my GoDaddy mail account. I had been thinking of removing the GoDaddy account anyway since it was from my business and I am retired. When I removed the account, the continual downloading activity immediately ceased. In one day I went from 15 Gb to 1 Gb download including all the other activity on the network.

It would appear Apple tweaked the mail app on or about December 13 2016 and something about it now does not play well with certain IMAP servers aside from its own @icloud.com server.

Jan 18, 2017 4:57 AM in response to yairz

I'm hoping kschweickhardt's solution will work for me. Meanwhile is there a way to set up a push notification so that I get an email whenever someone else posts on this topic? I have 6 email accounts, some exchange, some IMAP, gmail etc and this problem is DRIVING ME & my computer CRAZY. I agree, no 'care' in apple care any more. 😟

Feb 2, 2017 9:16 AM in response to yairz

I know this was posted a while ago... I just had this happen to a business email account that we have through GoDaddy.com. I called them and apparently this issue happens a lot, they say that it is a problem with their server and not apples. Their tech support was aware of it and said that they would fix it as soon as possible. Unfortunatley (based on previous comments) this happens a lot to accounts that are set-up through GoDaddy.

Guess we just have to wait it out until they fix the issue!

Feb 2, 2017 2:13 PM in response to peggypmcl

My problem was specifically with a GoDaddy account, but it sounds as though other non-Apple Mail based IMAP servers cause the same behaviour. It looks like there is something about Apple's OS X Mail client that does not play well with other IMAP servers. Certainly there have been comments that other mail clients (ie non-Apple third party mail apps) running under OS X do not have this problem, and iOS mail apps on iPad and iPhone don't have the problem. If there are compatibility issues between Apple's Mail client and third party IMAP servers I wish they would collectively sort it out. Apple, are you listening?

Mar 21, 2017 6:13 AM in response to yairz

Hi, I am having very much the same issue but with the added twist that my hard drive is filling up ridiculously quickly. I identified a large portion of my memory going to mail logs. I have deleted these, freeing up about 60gbs of space but memory continues to disappear. I think the two issues are related but instead of deleting the mail logs I would rather find a solution to mail constantly downloading. Are you facing the same issue? Any help will be appreciated and if I find a solution I will post it.

Thanks,

Duncan

Apr 28, 2017 11:43 AM in response to peggypmcl

Same problem:

I use go daddy for the domain name and Gmail Imap to manage my emails and almost every days Mail decide to download around 2000 messages, but I don't have new messages.. I used to take my phone to have an internet access when I am on the road, but with that issue I can't because it takes around 1gig for nothing every time!

Please help apple!

Jun 13, 2017 11:30 PM in response to glidingsports

Hi all,

I've had recurrent high CPU usage issues with Mail for Mac for a couple of years now,since upgrading first to Mavericks, then to El Capitan. Having roamed support forums for months, I tried every possible fix suggested with no effect at all, and finally decided to switch to another e-mail client. I tried Airmail for a while, but it was not convenient enough to manage the dozen or so accounts I need for business purposes. And finally, last week, I found the dreamlike solution: Postbox 5! Its costs about 40 €, but it has all the functionalities of Mail for Mac, plus a few valuable extra ones, a nice GUI, and wonderful support. No more CPU/memory/power overload, no more rainbow wheel, no more forced re-start! Apple, your Mail app has become a liability - either fix it or dump it ...

My advice thus: stop wasting time fixing Mail for Mac, go directly for either Airmail or Postbox - whichever is more suitable for your email handling habits. And no, I'm not paid by either of them - I'm just a Mac aficionado tired of being confronted with a serious problem with what is supposed to be a seamless Apple application ;-)

Jun 19, 2017 3:37 AM in response to yairz

I had the same problem. Mine seemed to be related to my gmail account. I resolved it by logging into my gmail account via my web browser and cleaning up all unwanted messages and folders. Now when I check for email on my MacBook pro I immediately get the feedback message "no new messages" instead of "downloading xxxx new messages"

Good luck

Dec 17, 2017 7:42 AM in response to yairz

I suppoedly have 4,850 new messages. Not a chance. Nothing is showing up in my inbox. I have no idea where they are being downloaded. I am running mcOS Sierra version 10.12.6 and MAIL version 10.3 (3273).

Apple does not make this "Downloading Messages" obvious being at the bottom os the left hand column. I suspect more people have this "undocumented feature" because they are just not seeing the message.

Mail constantly downloading messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.