Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older Mac Mini

I purchased an older Mac Mini(a G4 I think) and I don't have the password. I have several older versions of OS but I can't get the Mac to boot up from one of them. I hooked up an external(usb) cd drive to do it because I am afraid if I use the Mac's it won't eject. Any suggestions?..Thanks in advance.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4), Not sure what version of OSX.

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 11:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2015 8:42 AM

Only Intel Macs can boot from a USB device. Your G4 can only boot from an internal drive or an external device connected via FIreWire.

Try booting using the internal optical drive or an external optical drive.

If you have another Mac with FireWire you can also use the internal drives in that Mac with your G4 if you connect the two via FireWire and boot the other Mac to Target Disk Mode

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2015 8:42 AM in response to itshxbonjt

Only Intel Macs can boot from a USB device. Your G4 can only boot from an internal drive or an external device connected via FIreWire.

Try booting using the internal optical drive or an external optical drive.

If you have another Mac with FireWire you can also use the internal drives in that Mac with your G4 if you connect the two via FireWire and boot the other Mac to Target Disk Mode

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

Older Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.