Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac's DVD player won't play. Discs are not recognised and rejected?

I have tried to play a variety of DVDs on my iMac but after thinking about it for 30 seconds or so the discs are rejected and ejected. However, it's not all discs. I have found one or two that it will accept and play. Confused...

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 17, 2015 8:45 AM

1 reply

Nov 18, 2015 2:37 PM in response to Don't Call Me Dave

Hello, I won't call you Dave.

I understand that some DVDs are not mounted and eject from your SuperDrive. This issue could be with the DVD itself as it does accept some but not others. However, let's try the steps below to see if the DVDs will mount.

Accepts discs but they don't mount or are automatically ejected

1. Make sure the drive is not placed upside down. The aluminum enclosure should be facing up as shown in section 1.
  2. Check the disc's surface for scratches and dirt, since these things can prevent the disc from appearing on the desktop.
  3. Connect the MacBook Air SuperDrive directly to the computer's USB port instead a USB hub.
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC).
  5. Ensure your drive can read the specific type of disc being used. The System Profiler or System Information may provide additional information regarding what media your computer supports.
    • OS X Snow Leopard v10.6 or earlier: Open Apple System Profiler by choosing "About this Mac" from the Apple () menu. Then, click More Info.
    • OS X Lion v10.7 and later: Click the Apple () menu and then hold down the Option key. Choose System Information from the menu.
  6. If the disc continues to not be recognized, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or make an appointment with an Apple Retail Store.

Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer

Cheers

My iMac's DVD player won't play. Discs are not recognised and rejected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.