Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil stopped working

So, before I head back to the Apple Store, I thought I would ask here if there are any other steps I should take for a Apple Pencil that has stopped functioning with my iPad Pro.

it had been functioning fine for several days and then suddenly stopped.

I have confirmed that the pencil is charged. Also, it continues to show up in Bluetooth settings.

I have tried deleting the pencil and repairing it which works successfully. I've also restarted the iPad.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

iPad, iOS 9.1, iPad Pro

Posted on Nov 17, 2015 11:13 AM

13 replies

Jul 15, 2017 4:13 PM in response to AMcguyver

I had the exact same problem. Went to the Apple Store today and was told basically it is dead so I can get a refurb for $79 (3 month warranty) or a $99 new one (1 year warranty). Bought it in April 2016 and it was very lightly used. Not sure I'd buy another one. Some people have had luck with their Apple Stores giving them a replacement or good price cut on a new one even though they were outside their 1 year warranty period so you may as well get it checked by them (hopefully they can fix it) and see if they are willing to give you any kind of deal if they are not.

Sep 9, 2017 9:48 AM in response to Argelius

Having tried the various remedies noted here--re-pairing, charging, and ensuring the tip was screwed in, I tried putting in the reserve tip. This completely solved the problem. I've concluded the initial tip had some irregularity that was interfering with it seating properly--the line between the tip and the body was bigger (though almost imperceptibly) with the first one. I think this accounts for the intermittency of the problem in my case--sometimes the tip would make proper contact, sometimes not.

Jul 22, 2016 12:52 PM in response to Argelius

Actually this appears related to the Bluetooth pairing between Pencil and iPad. I had this issue as well, because I had been charging my pencil in my iPhone dock with the adapter. Eventually it lost it's pairing with the iPad for some yet unknown reason. Once I plugged the Pencil into the iPad to charge it, I noted the Bluetooth icon flash a few times and after that the pencil worked with iPad just fine. So while you can charge the Pencil externally, it's a good idea to charge it by the iPad once in a while to refresh the pairing.

Apple pencil stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.