Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPhone 6 underline my dictated text in blue?

Why does my iPhone 6 running iOS 9 .1 underline my dictated text in blue? I would understand if it corrected it correctly but it does not. What can I do to correct this and why does it sometimes highlight in entire sentence in blue, like I want to copy it?

Help

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 17, 2015 10:47 AM

11 replies

Nov 18, 2015 7:01 PM in response to dutch29

This is the most annoying issue I have with my iPhone 6 (iOS 9.1) and I have not seen an adequate response at all to the problem.

Almost every time I dictate a text message, it seems at least one full sentence (sometimes 15 to 20 words) of the dictation is completely underlined with blue dots. If I want to add a new word in the middle of the underlined sentence (I'm already satisfied with the it grammatically), I will tap the location where I want the cursor to be to add the word, but it will not allow the cursor there; rather, suddenly the entire underlined sentence now becomes highlighted in blue. Sometimes, above the highlighting, a suggestion shows up as to what it thinks the sentence should be, but that's not allowing me to add a new word to the sentence. If I tap the location again where I want the cursor to be (the sentence is already highlighted), it still will not allow the cursor there; instead, after this tap, the entire sentence remains highlighted now in a slightly different hue of blue with a menu appearing above the sentence to "cut, copy, paste, define, share..." Those choices are for the entire highlighted sentence, not a part of it. I am never allowed to place the cursor inside the highlighted area. And if I double tap where I want the cursor to be to insert a new word, an existing word close to where I double tap is then highlighted with the same menu choices to "cut, paste, define, share..." I am never allowed to conveniently place the cursor where I want to add a new word. I have seen the suggestion of clicking on the space next to the last highlighted word of the sentence but that only removes the underlining of the last word, the rest of the sentence remains underlined and the same inability to place the cursor remains. I know others have asked how to remove or disable this underlining/highlighting function, but the question seems always ignored and, instead, further explanations of underlining are given which is not what I want.

There is no blue underlining, highlighting, etc. when dictating email and notes. They work perfectly in the normal fashion.

I desperately want to remove or disable this underling/highlighting function. It basically stops me from wanting to dictate text messages, which is how I have prepared my texts for years!

Please let me know how!

Nov 21, 2015 10:38 AM in response to Conrad C.

I have the same complaint. It drives me nuts when people reply to these questions and suggest that you were trying to correct a word when no, it seems like a bug that is highlighting the entire message. And it's very frustrating not to be able to fix just one word.

Conrad C. wrote:

This is the most annoying issue I have with my iPhone 6 (iOS 9.1) and I have not seen an adequate response at all to the problem.

Almost every time I dictate a text message, it seems at least one full sentence (sometimes 15 to 20 words) of the dictation is completely underlined with blue dots. If I want to add a new word in the middle of the underlined sentence (I'm already satisfied with the it grammatically), I will tap the location where I want the cursor to be to add the word, but it will not allow the cursor there; rather, suddenly the entire underlined sentence now becomes highlighted in blue. Sometimes, above the highlighting, a suggestion shows up as to what it thinks the sentence should be, but that's not allowing me to add a new word to the sentence. If I tap the location again where I want the cursor to be (the sentence is already highlighted), it still will not allow the cursor there; instead, after this tap, the entire sentence remains highlighted now in a slightly different hue of blue with a menu appearing above the sentence to "cut, copy, paste, define, share..." Those choices are for the entire highlighted sentence, not a part of it. I am never allowed to place the cursor inside the highlighted area. And if I double tap where I want the cursor to be to insert a new word, an existing word close to where I double tap is then highlighted with the same menu choices to "cut, paste, define, share..." I am never allowed to conveniently place the cursor where I want to add a new word. I have seen the suggestion of clicking on the space next to the last highlighted word of the sentence but that only removes the underlining of the last word, the rest of the sentence remains underlined and the same inability to place the cursor remains. I know others have asked how to remove or disable this underlining/highlighting function, but the question seems always ignored and, instead, further explanations of underlining are given which is not what I want.

There is no blue underlining, highlighting, etc. when dictating email and notes. They work perfectly in the normal fashion.

I desperately want to remove or disable this underling/highlighting function. It basically stops me from wanting to dictate text messages, which is how I have prepared my texts for years!

Please let me know how!

I'm at

Nov 21, 2015 11:23 AM in response to rpgonzalez

rpgonzalez wrote:

I have the same complaint. It drives me nuts when people reply to these questions and suggest that you were trying to correct a word when no, it seems like a bug that is highlighting the entire message. And it's very frustrating not to be able to fix just one word.

The screen shot the OP provided shows one word highlighted, so answers relating to one word are appropriate. If you have a different problem, perhaps you should start a new thread.

Jan 20, 2016 8:56 AM in response to FriscoRunner121

Did anyone ever figure out how to resolve this issue? it's driving me crazy and so finally I tried to see if there was a way to fix it. The problem is when an entire sentence or paragraph is highlighted, and the suggested replacement is not correct, there is no way to just go to one or two words to fix them. Neither can you use the press and hold in the sentence to move the cursor to the word you want to fix or the sentence place you want to edit. Every time you tap on a part of the paragraph or sentence that is underlined, the balloon pops up and you can't edit the text.

If I turn off auto correct under Keyboards in Settings, it will also turn off auto correct in emails which does not have the issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Why does my iPhone 6 underline my dictated text in blue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.