Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playcount not updating

I only listen music through my iPhone. For my playlist management I have to rely on my iTunes (e.g. playlists based on playcount). I try to sync my iPhone at least once a week with iTunes. Normally everyting works fine, but seemingly randomly iTunes refuses to update the playcount (like it doesn't know it has played any songs at all).

Does anyone know what causes this issue and how to fix it?

I have the most recent iOS on my iPhone 5S & the most recent iTunes-version.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1, null

Posted on Nov 17, 2015 11:38 AM

2 replies

Nov 17, 2015 2:09 PM in response to R_sPeEd

1. Presumably, you are letting the song run all the way through to the end. If you don't, the Play Count is not increased.
  2. When you Sync the iPod with your iTunes Library, try a second Sync, preferably before disconnecting after the end of the first Sync. (I have known iTunes to fail to fully Sync on occasions.)

One check you could make, to find out whether the Sync has worked, is to look at the Last Played column. Does that update?

I often set my iTunes Library as shown below, so that I can see the Last Played and the Play Count. Note the (green) circled chevron, which arranges the Last Played column in Last Played song at-the-top order:

User uploaded file

Nov 25, 2015 2:35 AM in response to the fiend

Hi

First of all thanks for the reply! Nevertheless it didn't bring me any further.

1. Indeed, I let the songs run all the way through the end

2. A second sync doesn't help ...

The column 'last played' doesn't update when syncing.

One important element I suspect (but not 100% sure though): when I Sync my iPhone within the last week of when I last synced, he recongnizes that I have played songs, updates the playcount and updates the 'last played' column. When I wait over a week, he seems to have forgotten I have played any songs in that period.

Playcount not updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.