Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I direct different MIDI channels to different instruments in multitimbral Kontakt plugin?

I want to load a single Kontakt instance into MainStage and then load multiple instruments into the instance, each one on a different MIDI channel.

However, I have been unable to find a way to get different channels coming from an external keyboard to target those individual channels. I tried using "multitimbral" input selection but it seems as if Kontakt is behaving as if all its loaded instruments were listening in Omni mode or else MainStage is just sending the data on every MIDI channel.

Anyone know how to do this?

Latest MainStage 3

Thanks

D

Posted on Nov 17, 2015 1:22 PM

4 replies

Nov 18, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Madddcow

For the first part, yes. The individual instruments in the load NKM have specific midi channels, they are not set to omni.

As for the second part, I have associated four individual midi channels (using the mechanism where I can select individual ports and channels for a channel strip) with the channel strip containing Kontakt

Nov 24, 2015 12:32 PM in response to dhjdhj

I do a lot of complex setups using Kontakt, and while in other DAWs I often use multitimbral Kontakt instances, in MainStage, I usually use a separate channel strip for every different midi channel. I set all the patches inside of each Kontakt instance to omni (there's a setting to do this by default), but then I use MS to route specific midi channels to certain inputs.

Here's how I set it up: instead of using a layout with the default "Keyboard" input controller, I create a number of "MIDI Activity" controllers*. These do essentially the same thing, but they take almost no screen real-estate so you can have any number of them. You then name them something like "Channel 1", "Channel 2", etc, and then set them to receive from that corresponding midi channel. Now that you've defined your new layout, each time you create a new patch, you can simply set the input of all your Channel Strips, to one of the MIDI routers you created, in the "Keyboard" dropdown, under the "MIDI Input" tab.

A Kontakt instance, with no patches loaded, in of itself, takes up very little RAM or CPU, so don't worry about trying to stuff a bunch of sounds into a single one. Keeping them in separate channel strips adds a lot of flexibility.

I hope this isn't too confusing and is helpful. Honestly, it completely changed my world when I started using multiple "MIDI Activity" controllers, you can create far more complex setups this way. And once you get used to it, it's just as fast as the workflow the program tends to default to.

* If you're worried about region splits (since the "MIDI Activity" controller doesn't display them), you can still set them up in the "Layer Editor" tab.

Nov 26, 2015 10:13 AM in response to shattre

Not confusing at all, very helpful. I'm already using the MIDI Activity controllers and had configured them that way.

The problem is that not about creating lots of Kontakt instruments but rather that some of the Kontakt stuff that I have already set up lives in multi-instrument NKM mode that aren't conveniently splittable to individual Kontakt instances and in particular, splitting them up was precisely what I was trying to avoid.

How can I direct different MIDI channels to different instruments in multitimbral Kontakt plugin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.