Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with apple tv and el capitan

Since upgrading to El Capitan on my late 2013 macbook air, my apple tv connection has been jumpy. I am able to connect through Apple TV but in the midst of a presentation or video it often freezes and then boots me out. The only solution is to restart the computer or turn off and then turn on the tv. I did not have this problem with yosemite. Others in my office with macs who have not upgraded their OS are not having this issue. Any help?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 17, 2015 11:28 AM

12 replies

Dec 1, 2015 5:43 PM in response to tmaas77572

The issue above sounds like a network issue. i have El Capitan installed and have zero issues with homeshare or AirPlay on any of my idevices. You'd think that if there was a wide spread issue with the newest device and current software there would be more than 2 posts about it over ~2 months since the ATV4 was released...

now being a user forum, we need details about YOUR complete setup since everyone here uses it differently and has different components, wiring and needs. then maybe someone here can provide actionable suggestions to resolve your specific issue...

Dec 1, 2015 6:22 PM in response to Protodd

I am uncertain what you need when you say my complete set up. This is an office environment wireless network with multiple users for the apple tv, both mac and windows laptops. It works seamlessly for all other mac users(and windows) but i am the only one who has upgraded to el capitan. I Have seen multiple strings with this issue and tried recommendations no resolution-here is one string among several

Airplay issue with El Capitan

Dec 1, 2015 6:57 PM in response to LisaSlayton

have you tried taking it out of the office environment i.e. taking the ATV device &/or MacBook to a personal network to AirPlay across a different network? Some have even used a local hotspot for this step. Do you have the same result?

we need to know what generation Apple TV you are working with and what the current software version is?

then it's also useful to know the software version for the MacBook. When you say presentation, what software are you using? Does it freeze up on anything you AirPlay or just a presentation/video? How bout just a text document or streaming YouTube?

When you say "boots you out". What does that mean? Is the Apple TV frozen? Does it require a restart? Is it the MacBook that's frozen? Does it require a restart? Both?

Dec 1, 2015 9:53 PM in response to Protodd

Thanks for the response!

Pretty basic setup. 21" iMac with a Gen4 Apple TV. Both are hardwired directly to a Netgear 10/100/1000 network switch. I can ping the Apple TV, I've completely disabled the firewall, but I can't connect to it. When I open Display, it simply says "Apple Tv" and "Off"

Unit was working fine until the El Capitan upgrade, and hasn't worked since

Dec 2, 2015 12:00 PM in response to LisaSlayton

Have you tried using a different network? I know others have tested using hotspot feature on iPhone (if your plan includes it). I agree it does sound like a network issue. I am not too familiar with enterprise networks to know how they route the data packets. Have you attempted to assign static ip? From my understanding of your issue, it allows the AirPlay connection. But then as soon as you open ANY application (safari, vimeo, movie etc) on the Macbook it freezes BOTH the ATV and the Macbook requiring a restart on BOTH devices? Have you tried having the application running and then enabling AirPlay? Same result?

can you clarify the ATV model? You say gen 4 but software 7.2 - it sounds like you may have a gen 3. Gen 4 has software 9.x

Dec 8, 2015 9:14 AM in response to Protodd

I have used the set up on my home ATV Gen 3 with no problems- ran 3 hours of streaming content over the weekend.

the office ATV is gen 3

I tested the office ATV with my ipad min and it works fine, no trouble loading and no disconnecting

It also will not load Internet and/or video content from my laptop.

It boots me off apple tv and then I have to reconnect. It does not freeze immediately.

I agree it may be a network problem but other Mac user/devices are running ok, including my Ipad and iphone thru the ATV.

we will investigate the network connection but it shows as full strength in that room. and the laptop stream fine when it is no sunning thru ATV.

Thx

Dec 8, 2015 9:28 AM in response to LisaSlayton

The thought of trying on a different network would help isolate the issue. I.e if you get the same results then it's isolated to the device, if not, then network is the likely culprit. For the record, just because signal strength is solid doesn't necessarily mean the data packets on the enterprise network are being sent how bonjour would expect for AirPlay to work. Though I have heard of others who are experiencing issues with AirPlay so it very well could be a software/firmware bug. We have ATVs in 32 conference rooms at the office and I have 3 at home (ATV 2,3 & 4) and have not had any issues using AirPlay at either location on any of my devices even on my PC using air parrot...

You could also try restoring the ATV via iTunes in case there is something funky with the software currently installed - this ensures a clean load of the latest software available on the ATV - Restore your Apple TV using iTunes - Apple Support

problems with apple tv and el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.