Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail and Sidekick

I've been using (and paying for) Sidekick by Hubspot. It allows me to track the email I send from my Apple mail. On any account I sent it from, so it can be my icloud.com account or any of the gmail accounts I have running thru my Apple mail. So I can see who opened my email, when, what they clicked on and so forth.

Well no thanks to Apple, SideKick won't work with Apple Mail in El Capitan. When I try to install it says the plug in was disabled by Apple Mail. so I can't use it and Hubspot sent me an email saying (more or less) that Apple is now being uncooperative and won't let Sidekick work anymore.

I really need it with my clients (and their clients, I monitor email for many of my clients). Does anyone know how to either make it work or is there other ways I can track my email?

Really disappointed,

Susan

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), iphone 6, ipad, Apple TV new imac

Posted on Nov 18, 2015 9:10 AM

7 replies

Nov 18, 2015 9:14 AM in response to susan-kelly

Susan,

Your disappointment is misguided. You should be in touch with the developers of SideKick to see if they have an updated version of their application that works with El Capitan. It is not Apple's responsibility to see that third party apps (there are thousands of them!) work with versions of OS X, it is the app developers responsibility and also the end users, to ensure their apps are kept up-to-date.

Nov 18, 2015 9:21 AM in response to rkaufmann87

You are probably right but hey then, I'm misguided. Believe me I've been talking to Hubspot daily and so have many other people (from their forums) but according to Hubspot they can't get it to work and they will no longer support El Capitan.

It's just been the best app for me and my business. I'd really like either this one to work or... find another similar app. This worked on all the other versions of Apple mail until now.

😟

Nov 20, 2015 4:37 AM in response to pandachina

They do have a temporary fix, it didn't work for me initially but their tech people worked with me and we got it going for now. However they made it perfectly clear that after this version there will be no updates for Apple Mail. In El Capitan Apple has "disallowed" 3rd party peeps like Hubspot to access whatever it is they need to make it work. I have that in an email and it's very clear. They told me the only hope is if I write to Apple and tell them I want them to give access again, that if enough people do it could happen. I'm doing it, not sure it will make any difference but as of your next mail update it won't work and they said it's too costly for them to put a whole team of tech peeps on it at every single update.

I love Sidekick, it's really helped not only my own biz but most of my clients as well.

Susan

Nov 27, 2015 3:10 AM in response to seb_fff

Actually I emailed support and they sent me to a different version of Sidekick, when you download the package it has 317kb which is a bigger then the one I just downloaded from their site. At any rate it works with my current version of El Capitan but they said if it will work with future updates of mail/El Capitan they know not. For now it's working for me. So you may want to try working directly with their tech support.

Susan

Mar 21, 2016 6:36 PM in response to susan-kelly

I agree and share your disappointment that Sidekick is no longer supported for Apple Mail. The blame should go to Sidekick. The reasoning on their site, "As it turns out, Apple does not provide any support or resources for third-party developers to use in creating add-ons for Apple Mail, and this is making it increasingly difficult to maintain even basic functionality inside Apple Mail." is bogus -- Many other 3rd party apps work with Apple Mail. Also, they will not support Outlook for Mac either. We should put more pressure on Hubspot to update their app with our feedback. I just tweeted my disappointment as I am a longtime Hubspot Marketing and Sidekick user.

Apple mail and Sidekick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.