Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I write a fraction (1/2, 1/4, etc.) in correct form in Mail? I have OS X 10.11.1.

How do I type a fraction (1/2.1/4, etc.) in correct form when using Mail? I have OS X 10.11.1.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Nov 18, 2015 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2015 10:20 AM

system preference>Keyboard

show Keyboard, Emoji...

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

search for "fraction"

User uploaded file

5 replies

Nov 18, 2015 2:35 PM in response to macaccamo

In addition to Jimmy's great information, you can create text substitutions for all the fractions. Just use the character viewer to create text substitutions for each string 1/2 : ½ , etc.

The Text Substitutions are just one tab over, "Text" on the Keyboard system prefs.

User uploaded file

Now, sometimes those may get in your way, so you might have to disable Text Replacement (Edit Menu, Substitutions) when you really want 1/2.

I guess it depends on whether you need the vulgar fractions more often than you need the the other.

Finally, you don't have to add the Character Viewer to the Input menu (or show the input menu at all). All the Edit menus have Emoji & Symbols right in the App.

User uploaded file

How do I write a fraction (1/2, 1/4, etc.) in correct form in Mail? I have OS X 10.11.1.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.