Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does El Capitan keep resizing my Finder window?

I recently upgraded my iMac to El Capitan, and I've noticed that my Finder window (which I keep open all the time on a connected Thunderbolt display) keeps resizing to the height of the entire screen. I keep it in the bottom right corner, so it will extend itself off the screen. I'm constantly having to resize it to get at files that are out of view. Any idea why this might be happening, or how I can prevent it?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 18, 2015 9:58 AM

4 replies

Dec 7, 2015 1:48 AM in response to amacduff

I'm not sure if this is related, but my finder window seems to have issues as well ever since upgrading to El Capitan - it frequently will start up (or perhaps it's when it wakes from sleep?) - and the finder is quite small - not the last size it was set to or the default - and when I drag the lower righthand corner out to manually resize it and make it larger, the whole finder jumps suddenly over while being resized (resizing still happens, but not as intended of course). It seems particularly prevalent when the finder is sitting in the upper lefthand quadrant of the screen.

May 11, 2016 9:25 AM in response to Witold Oleksiak

I just got a new iMac with El Capitan pre installed. My finder windows do not remember being resized. And icon placement is flakey also. Open a window, resize it then close and reopen and it's back to it's original size. Not like any Mac OS before it. I've had a Mac since the Mac Plus came out so I'm familiar with how it's supposed to work. Irritating

Why does El Capitan keep resizing my Finder window?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.