Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Win 8.1 x64 Pro install on Boot Camp Assistant 6.0

I recently bought a new MBP running Yosemite 10.10.5 on which I wanted to install Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit. I read the Boot Camp Assistant (BCA) help instructions and followed it step by step for: " Install Windows on your Mac using a USB hard drive or flash drive"

see here: https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/#/bcmp09f5f773

After downloading the latest Windows support drivers for my MBP (see image below)

User uploaded file

I did not proceed immediately to install Win 8.1 Pro x64 because of tight work schedule since I was preparing for an audit (my job before anything else🙂). Few days after the drivers download, OS X EL Capitan was released and I upgraded to it.

When I finally got time and came back to install Win 8.1 on my MBP, the BCA interface (dialog box) had changed. I contacted Apple Support to know why and what caused it. They said because I upgraded to El Capitan, it restored SSD and wiped any pending task/changes (Win 8.1 install) prior to move from Yosemite to El Capitan. Now that I have the new version of BCA (6.0), it doesn't allow me to see (third in image above) the former option: "Install Windows 7 or later version" from screen above so I can proceed to install Win 8.1 Pro x64. I do not want to have to download the drivers afresh each time I have to perform a Windows OS install because it takes forever (considering my internet bandwidth is too low😢😟); that is why I need to know if there is another alternative to proceeding to install Win OS without having to re-download the BC drivers. That will help me too much, so that I can always install and delete Win OS from MBP whenever needed. Now all I see and get as option from BCA 6.0 when I try to restart fresh install are two images below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Please can anyone help me. I do not really want to have to perform a Windows Support Drivers download each time I have to install a copy of Win OS on my MBP, considering the fact that I have already downloaded them and saved them on and external USB drive.

Please if there is also a way to downgrade BCA and install Win OS and after install upgrade BCA back, I will be very happy if anyone can indicate me how to do that. I am novice😐 to MacBooks.

Thanks in advance to all for the support🙂😎.

I am currently running El Capitan version 10.11.1 on MacBook Pro (MBP) Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015. Storage is 500GB SSD. Also have dual ATI Radeon R9 M370X and Intel Iris Pro graphic cards. Intel Core i7 @ 2.5GHz Quad Core.

User uploaded file

P.S: I also tried but without success to install using: "Install Windows on your Mac without using a USB hard drive or flash drive", see here: https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/#/bcmp173b3bf2

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 18, 2015 10:34 AM

8 replies

Nov 25, 2015 5:38 AM in response to Saint-Studio Cephas

I am back and with me the solution to my problem... Before I proceed to writing anything, read below to know more about this minor detail that could save you hours of brainstorming and headache.

After wiping OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 from my MBP, I tried installing OS X Yosemite 10.10 but it I was unsuccessful😮😠 after several uncountable tries. I also tried different OS X Yosemite 10.10 dmg installation files but I was still unsuccessful. None of them will boot; it will simply display a barred symbol on the screen; like the one right here:User uploaded file

Considering that I have a really silly😝 internet bandwidth, it became really annoying to have to spend days downloading and unsuccessfully trying to install Yosemite. I felt my only option is to use the Internet Recovery, of which am not really fond and avoid; sine am only seeking for non-internet based solutions. I went back reading on the internet and the was some controversy on Internet Recovery: some said it restores original OS which came on your Mac others said it loads more recent OS unto your Mac. At this point even more confused 😕. So it came to my mind, a simple fundamental principle which Apple applies on iPhones... you cannot downgrade an iOS version of an iPhone to a version prior to that which was released with the iPhone itself, even if the iOS version is an intermediary (minor) release. After this moment, I verified and saw all previous OS X Yosemite I had downloaded were actually 10.10 NOT 10.10.5 which is what came with my MBP Retina mid 2015. Finally I gave a last try, searched around and got a dmg file for Yosemite 10.10.5 and after creating installation USB... got my MBP running back on OS X 🙂😁😎➕✅

Once i got Yosemite 10.10.5 running, I was able to install Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on my MBP using older version of BCA which comes on Yosemite 10.10.5. Since I already had my BC drivers and the Windows installation USB created with BC, I plugged-in both USB keys, went in straight into installation using last option in BCA. After installing Win 8.1 I simply installed my drivers by running setup file found in USB key with BC drivers. Now, I've got both OS X and Windows OS up!!

Finally, in order to restore my MBP and all its data and content, I upgraded back to El Capitan (since you cannot restore a backup of El Capitan on Yosemite) using a dmg file which I had previously downloaded, I copied it unto my desktop and simply executed it. Then, I followed the on-screen instructions and got back unto EL Capitan😍. From there, I pulled up an external 2 TB hard drive I used as backup with Time Machine and executed Migration Assistant to transfer back all of my files. It successfully restored my MBP and looks like nothing ever happened to it (like new), plus I have Windows OS up in BC partition. To conclude, I then installed the update to upgrade again from El Capitan 10.11 to El Capitan 10.11.1.

As far as I am concerned, what I can say is:

1. If you are downgrading your Mac OS version, please make sure you get a Mac OS dmg file version that was originally shipped with your Mac, this may save you a lot of stress and headache.

2. Never neglect the minor releases version counts attached the main OS version release; e.g. in Mac OS X 10.x.x the x.x are very important when searching, downloading and performing a downgrade install back to factory settings on your Mac.

3. Different mades of Mac computers support different least Windows OS versions. Mine will only support as from Win 8 x64 upwards, while other Macs will support Win 7 x64 and so on... Please pay close attention to what BCA displays.

4. I might be too explicit in my explanations but I believe this information is of good help and provides precious details needed by all novice just like myself, thanks.

P.S. Ok, to download all these versions of OS X, I installed Windows 8.1 Pro to power up the MBP, I used my BC drivers to install my drivers and it worked fine. I was then able to connect via WiFi and browse over the internet to search for solutions. For some few days I had an entire Windows-Mac, hahaha.😁😁😉

Nov 25, 2015 6:07 AM in response to Saint-Studio Cephas

There is a reference article OS X versions and builds included with Mac computers - Apple Support which should always be factored in. El Capitan is currently not something I want on critical Macs. It is a toy on a 2012 MBP which I can erase/wipe at will.

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support explicitly states what Internet Recovery will provide. If the firmware on your Mac has been updated, the original build may no longer work.

I am glad to see that you have a working Mac. 😎. Please ensure you have good backups.

Nov 25, 2015 7:22 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T you should be awarded the ApplePedia trophy🙂😉, you've got amazing solutions and also the reliable links to internet material, thumbs up!! Just FYI, I have never updated the firmware on my Mac, so the original build still works.

I agree with you, EL Capitan is just too way below expectation and really needs a lot of amendments prior to officially rolling it out on critical Macs. Yes, I have gotten back on a working Mac and as you rightly say, I frequently and preciously keep good backups, as no one knows what this El Capitan is capable of yet, talking in terms of disaster, 😁😁 hahaha.

Multiple Win 8.1 x64 Pro install on Boot Camp Assistant 6.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.