Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing

Latest ATV, software updated today, insists I need to turn on Home Sharing. Naturally Home Sharing is turned on, and the apple ID on the ATV and iTunes (latest version) the same (as they have been for years), and despite restarting the ATV and switching off and on home sharing, closing and opening iTunes, no joy. Connects to Netflix just fine.

This is really not good enough and Apple needs to fix this soon before I throw this brick away.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 6S, MBP, iPad, TV, TC

Posted on Nov 18, 2015 12:17 PM

7 replies

Nov 18, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Martin Toal

Firstly, this is a user support forum Apple is not here but you can send them feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback/

that hat being said, I would recommend restart/update your router. Taking special note of the firewall/ports

Check settings for ports and firewalls

1. If you're using a Mac, go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and select Firewall. If your firewall is blocking all incoming connections or allowing only essential services, click Firewall Options and edit your settings.
  2. If you're using a PC, or you have another firewall set up on your computer or router, make sure TCP port 3689 and UDP port 5342 aren't closed or blocked. Get help with third-party security software.
  3. Try to stream your shared iTunes content from a different computer, or to a different device.
  4. Try to connect your devices to a different home network.
  5. Contact your Internet service provider or router manufacturer for help.

Learn more about TCP and UDP ports.

Home Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.