Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote Opening in a strange window

I'm running Keynote 6.6.1 on El Capitan and having a strange issue when opening a presentation. The presentation doesn't open on first click, does on the second and opens in a really small window lower left under the dock. Can't figure out how to re-set. It's annoying and takes twice as much work to open a file. Help!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Nov 18, 2015 3:16 PM

14 replies

Nov 21, 2015 7:36 AM in response to pdposey

If all presentations always open in a small window then try resetting Keynote; perform all the steps in the order listed:

1. Remove Keynote version 6.5, you must use an application removal tool for this procedure to work: Appcleaner is free,
  2. Empty the trash
  3. Shut Down the Mac (Apple menu > Shut Down)
  4. Wait 10 seconds, then press the power button
  5. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key,
    release the Shift key when you see the grey Apple screen
    start up will take a few minutes longer than usual as the Mac is performing a software repair
  6. Restart the Mac normally, (don’t hold down any keys during startup)
  7. Install Keynote from the Mac App Store

Feb 8, 2016 1:51 PM in response to pdposey

I have been noticing this happen on a lot of machines in the last few weeks(i do convention work and see dozens of presentation machines every week). The first couple of times I thought it was how the graphics operator had setup his show, but I've worked with 3 production companies and have seen it happen with over a dozen units.

Choosing Window -> Bring All to Front allows you to find the window and make it full-size.

Mar 26, 2016 2:33 PM in response to pdposey

Happens to me too if I go to System Preferences - Mission Control and check the box that says "Displays have separate Spaces". Sometimes the Keynote window is entirely hidden. I'm using an older 13" Macbook Pro.

Unchecking the box will display a menu on the projector display. Also not acceptable to me. I've tried checking the box in System Preferences - General that says "Automatically hide and show the menu bar", but then every time I access the menu on my computer, the menu pops up on the projector as well. I'd like to get the old functionality back, the current setup is either annoying to me or distracting to the audience.

Mar 26, 2016 3:06 PM in response to pdposey

Happens to me too if I go to System Preferences - Mission Control and uncheck the box that says "Displays have separate Spaces". Sometimes the Keynote window is entirely hidden. I'm using an older 13" Macbook Pro.

Checking the box will display a menu on the projector display. Also not acceptable to me. I've tried checking the box in System Preferences - General that says "Automatically hide and show the menu bar", but then every time I access the menu on my computer, the menu pops up on the projector as well. I'd like to get the old functionality back, the current setup is either annoying to me or distracting to the audience. This is affecting Apple apps directly and it's annoying me.

Keynote Opening in a strange window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.