Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos in I movie show as black screen when I click "show photo settings"

I was able to edit the ken burns effect on several photos i was using in my i movie 6 , then wham when I started up this morning and tried to edit the ken burns effect the photo shows in the timeline and clip viewer and on the screen UNTIL i select "show photo settings" Then the photo is replaced by a black screen in the viewing area. I can't edit the photo ken burns effect because I can't see the photo to adjust it...even when I tried to adjust the duration, there was no rendering and no adjustment.

Any ideas?

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Nov 15, 2006 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2006 6:40 AM

Hi mszig:

(I copied this from iMovie Guru, Karl Petersen):

There's a bug in iMovie 6 that makes it impossible to re-edit (Update) photo clips previously imported with the Ken Burns checkbox ON. The source photo, normally stored in the Media folder of the project, is (inappropriately) discarded when you empty the iMovie trash. The clips Update as black clips and the preview is usually black too, if I recall.

The workaround is to 1) drag the photo from the iMovie trash to the iMovie Clips pane; or 2) never empty the iMovie trash.

Sue
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2006 6:40 AM in response to mszig

Hi mszig:

(I copied this from iMovie Guru, Karl Petersen):

There's a bug in iMovie 6 that makes it impossible to re-edit (Update) photo clips previously imported with the Ken Burns checkbox ON. The source photo, normally stored in the Media folder of the project, is (inappropriately) discarded when you empty the iMovie trash. The clips Update as black clips and the preview is usually black too, if I recall.

The workaround is to 1) drag the photo from the iMovie trash to the iMovie Clips pane; or 2) never empty the iMovie trash.

Sue

Nov 15, 2006 7:37 AM in response to mszig

I'm having this same problem but I haven't applied the Ken Burns effect. I did however, empty the trash after a crash. I assume that emptying the trash caused this to happen regardless of whether the Ken Burns effect was applied or not. I can't get any of my Media images to show in the main window until they've been imported into the timeline...

Scott

Nov 15, 2006 9:01 AM in response to scottcas

I'm having this same problem but I haven't applied
the Ken Burns effect. I did however, empty the trash
after a crash. I assume that emptying the trash
caused this to happen regardless of whether the Ken
Burns effect was applied or not. I can't get any of
my Media images to show in the main window until
they've been imported into the timeline...

I wouldn't assume that emptying the iMovie trash caused that problem. If the photos hadn't been imported, they weren't in the project.

Are you saying that when you click on a photo in the iPhoto list the iMovie preview window turns black? If so, that suggests a problem of iMovie communicating with iPhoto. iMovie can't find the photo to display it.

Karl

Nov 15, 2006 2:31 PM in response to Karl Petersen

Karl,

That's exactly what's happening.

(99% of the pictures are on the HD, a couple are on a firewire drive and it's doing the same thing to all the pictures. That's the only thing I thought could cause the problem but since it's happening with all the pictures equally that seems to be ruled out.)

Thoughts on a fix? The project is just about done but i'd love to know a fix or a solution as this would stink if it was that way all the time from now on...

Nov 15, 2006 3:10 PM in response to scottcas

Thoughts on a fix? The project is just about done but i'd love to know a fix or a solution as this would stink if it was that way all the time from now on...

I'm not an iPhoto expert so I can't help. I've heard there are ways to "reconnect" the communication between iMovie and iPhoto.

I suggest searching the iPhoto forum for solutions. Or even look in iPhoto Help.

Anyone?

Karl

PS: Don't forget that the iMovie photos pane is just one of many ways to import photos to iMovie. You can also drag photos direct from an iPhoto window to the Timeline, for example. Or drag files from a Finder window.

Just about any photo anywhere can be dragged to the iMovie Timeline.

Karl

May 21, 2007 5:15 PM in response to sbappe

I left out a vital part...After clicking once on the problem photo in the timeline and then click on the same photo in Media Photo, Click on Show Photo Settings and then on Update. It's just take a second or two to update the photo. You'll have to do the same for each photo in your timeline that you are experiencing trouble with.

Photos in I movie show as black screen when I click "show photo settings"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.