Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't Time Machine restore apps?

Hi guys

I've just restored my latest time machine backup on a new hard drive for the first time but it's missing all my apps like iTunes, iMovie, MS Office and other purchased apps not from the App Store.

Can anyone give me some info as to why I'm missing all the apps?

I was under the impression everything that was backed up would be restored and re-instated just how I had it setup.

The restore was based on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on an early 2009 iMac 24", 2.93ghz.

Many thanks in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 19, 2015 4:04 AM

7 replies

Nov 19, 2015 11:40 AM in response to cheekyage

Were you restoring a whole disk, using System Recovery or is this using Migration Assistant?

Is it the same computer? If not a much later computer you should be using a clean install of the OS and Migration Assistant..

All the apps should be there and install.. if possible.. some will not work if it is over a later OS.

Explain a bit more for us the actual process used for the restore. And to what computer.

Nov 22, 2015 1:40 AM in response to LaPastenague

So my dock is missing all the OS X icons.

The dock is display blank paper icons across the bottom except for finder and dashboard.

When I click on one of the above icons eg iTunes I get a pop up window saying "Thefe is no default application specified to open document 253_OK .tif."

I have then clicked OK and now stuck with the rainbow spinning wheel.

Help!!

Why doesn't Time Machine restore apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.