Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync button greyed out, can't sync iphone?

I have had a couple issues with iTunes recently, the current one being that I can't sync my iPhone 5 to my iTunes.

I recently had a problem where any time I would plug my phone into my main pc that I usually sync on, iTunes would freeze up completely and I would have to force close. I went through a bunch of things to fix it, and the working solution ended up being uninstalling all apple programs and re installing itunes etc.

I can now plug in my phone without having any crashing issues, but now am not able to sync my phone. The sync button where I would normally press is greyed out. The usage bar has my "other" in yellow and "available" in grey as opposed to the various colours it usually has. I tried plugging my phone into another computer to see if the same problem occurred but I was able to sync/back it up on there.

I have put a back up on that other computer in case I need to reset my phone at all to solve this. I have tried a variety of basic solutions such as checking for updates, restarting my pc/phone and googled heaps and heaps of different things. I am using Windows 10.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in getting my iPhone to be able to sync properly again 🙂

iPhone 5, iOS 9.1, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 19, 2015 3:28 AM

4 replies

Nov 30, 2015 11:30 AM in response to lemdog69

For what it's worth, I fixed similar symptoms on my iPad by "resetting the Lockdown folder"—which is Step 4 here:

If you can't make an iTunes backup of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

(Although I did not actually have to delete ALL the items in the Lockdown folder, just the item named for my iPad's UDID code—which you can view by clicking on the serial number under Summary in iTunes. As near as I can tell, these files are just telling the computer that "this device trusts this computer," in which case deleting them wouldn't be terribly risky. It just causes the iPad/iPhone to ask you again "Trust this computer?"

Dec 14, 2015 4:26 AM in response to lemdog69

I had this same problem whilst trying to sync my iPhone 5 iOS 9.1 with my iMac OSX 10.11 using iTunes 12.3.1, the iPhone icon remained greyed out.

I followed the instructions and removed the contents of the lockdown folder all to no avail. Then I remembered that I was also running the "iPhone Backup Extractor.app". As soon as I quit this Application my problem was solved.

This might help someone else, if not the original Windows 10 user.

Sync button greyed out, can't sync iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.