Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display flickers and then turns black. Speakers and Camera working and Macbook charging. I tried every possible solution including NVRAM reset, new TB cable etc. Do you have any further ideas or is it broken?

My Thunderbolt Display 27" flickers and then turns black. Speakers and Camera are working and my Macbook is charging fine.

It doesn't matter whether I am using it under Windows (Bootcamp) or Mac OS.

I am using the latest OSX Version OS X 10.11.1

There are Posts regarding this issue but mine seems a bit special as none of the Solutions given in These threads seem to solve my Problem 😟

Macbook Pro Specs:

15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display, February 2013

(15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per Inch, 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM512GB Flash Storage, 1720p FaceTime HD Camera, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 Memory)

Troubleshooting steps I already tried:

• Install all OSX updates
  • Installed new TB-Display Firmware manually
  • Reset of NVRAM
  • Bought a new TB cable and tried to connect the TB Display via this cable: Worked for five minutes then black again
  • Tried to connect the TB Display to another Mac: Worked for a day and then same issue.
  • Did the Hardware test: Working again for half a day and then same issue

Are there any further steps I can try to solve this Problem?

I hope that the unit is not broken and that it is a Software issue because the TB Display is out of warranty now.

However I am very disappointed from Apple. I have an iPhone, iMac and mcbook Pro, all working fine but only had Problems with this thunderbolt Display. This is not the Quality product I am used to get from Apple.

Thanks in advance!

Thunderbolt Display (27-inch), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Using Macbook Pro Retina 2013

Posted on Nov 19, 2015 6:42 AM

There are no replies.

Thunderbolt Display flickers and then turns black. Speakers and Camera working and Macbook charging. I tried every possible solution including NVRAM reset, new TB cable etc. Do you have any further ideas or is it broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.