Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue(s) with AirPort base station in AirPort Utility

I have had an issue with my AirPort Extreme model A-1354 for a long time and would like to resolve it. When I go to the AirPort utility it shows I’m connected to the Internet but it also indicates that no configured AirPort base station found. I have had issues trying hookup Netflick to a TV in another room and problems transferring photos to and from our iPads and MiniMac. Can anyone out there help me figure this issue or issues? I’m even having trouble figuring the MAC address (too many numbers on the bottom of the AirPort Extreme that don’t start with MAC.) Totally lost.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Nov 19, 2015 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 7:32 AM

You have a 4th generation 802.11n AirPort Extreme base station (AEBS). Let's start by making sure that it is operational and you can access it from the AirPort Utility on your Mac mini.

To help me, what is the make & model of your Internet modem that you have your AEBS directly connected to by Ethernet? Is your Mac connected to the AEBS by wire or wireless? Does your TV support either wired or wireless connections? Does your TV run NetFlix via a smart app on the TV or are you using something like an Apple TV or DVD player that has the NetFlix app?

Your AEBS has at least three MAC addresses. One for the Ethernet connection and two for wireless. Which one are you interested in? That can all be found using the AirPort Utility.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Vince1942

You have a 4th generation 802.11n AirPort Extreme base station (AEBS). Let's start by making sure that it is operational and you can access it from the AirPort Utility on your Mac mini.

To help me, what is the make & model of your Internet modem that you have your AEBS directly connected to by Ethernet? Is your Mac connected to the AEBS by wire or wireless? Does your TV support either wired or wireless connections? Does your TV run NetFlix via a smart app on the TV or are you using something like an Apple TV or DVD player that has the NetFlix app?

Your AEBS has at least three MAC addresses. One for the Ethernet connection and two for wireless. Which one are you interested in? That can all be found using the AirPort Utility.

Nov 20, 2015 7:33 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for your response. The AirPort extreme is connected via an Ethernet cable. The Mac Mini is connected wireless. Got Netflix through wired DVD player upstairs now as I could not get Netflix box to work on TV downstairs. My main concern is why I’m getting “No configured AirPort base stations have been found. AirPort Utility will continue searching”. Hope this helps.

Nov 22, 2015 5:25 AM in response to Vince1942

Thanks for the updates. The AirPort Utility has been somewhat problematic in the last two versions of OS X. However, there are a few things you can try to help it.

Before doing so, let's check to see if the utility will "see" your base station by using the utility's File > Configure Other... option on its menu bar. You would need to enter the LAN-side IP address (the default is: 10.0.0.1) and the base station's password. If successful, the utility will now display your base station's information as usual. Does it?

If it does, then one of the first setting to check is the one for IPv6 in the utility. This should be set to: Link-local.

Nov 24, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Vince1942

Is your AEBS the only router in your current network configuration? If not, please provide the make & model of any other routers, modems, etc. If it is the only router, then I would like for you to try performing a "soft" reset on the AEBS. This should not affect any of its settings. Once done, try accessing it again with the AirPort Utility. Can it do so this time?

Nov 28, 2015 8:02 AM in response to Tesserax

I assumed that it was, as guests need to log into the system. I have 3 modems connected to three TV in the house. One upstairs that has a DVR setup and 2 down stairs those do not. The DVR unit is a Nemko Amino A140. Nemko Amino A540 are the units down stairs. I tried a soft reset without any results. I went into AirPort Utility, but there was no base station to edit. I tried “configure other” and used the address 10.0.0.1 and my password with a thought that might work but it didn’t. Thanks for your continued patience and help.

Nov 30, 2015 8:20 AM in response to Tesserax

Talked to our local phone provider this morning. The units I mentioned are not modems, but STB units. We are on a fiber network. Signal come in via fiber optics to a ONT (Optical Network transmission?). From there it goes by ethernet cable to a switch box. From the switch box ethernet cables go out to each STB units and the router. Those units do not go through my AEBS (router). Hopes this helps.User uploaded file

Dec 1, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Vince1942

It's possible that it issue is that your AEBS is expecting to be the only router directly connected to your Internet connection by Ethernet. Typically when a user has an Ethernet switch between the Internet source (in your case, the ONT box), that is distributing Internet via a switch each of those devices would require a unique WAN-side IP address. In turn, any devices connected to those STB devices would be on their own local network. That would mean that devices connected to the AEBS would not be able to "see" those connected to those other devices ... and vice versa.

Dec 6, 2015 5:45 PM in response to Vince1942

Sorry, but no. The issue would still exist.

What you can try is to temporarily connect the AEBS to the ONT device. Connect the Ethernet cable coming from the ONT to the WAN (circle-of-dots) port on the AEBS. Then, in turn, connect the Ethernet switch to one of the available LAN ports on the AEBS. Finally connect the STB devices to the switch.

Dec 20, 2015 10:34 AM in response to Vince1942

Our internet server indicated that would involved a lot of cable work. I did run an Ethernet cable across the room to the router and was able to access the information on AirPort Extreme . I am passing on a photo of that information. What I noted was that the wireless units are shown, but there is a different network given. That was a previous router that I replaced with the AirPort Extreme unit. Could this be the reason that the wireless unitsUser uploaded file could not reconize this router?

Dec 21, 2015 10:53 AM in response to Vince1942

From the image you provided the AirPort Extreme is receiving a Public IP address on its WAN port, which is correct when connected directly to an Internet modem. The 10.0.1.1 is the default Private IP address of the Extreme and is used by clients on your local network to access the router/Internet.

I am assuming that with the switch (in your drawing) is in place each of the STB devices are also getting a Public IP address. If this is the case, then this is why devices connected to the Extreme cannot 'see' any of the STB devices and vice versa. They would all have to be on the same local network behind the Extreme in order to do so.

Issue(s) with AirPort base station in AirPort Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.