Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto

When i try to open iPhoto, it shuts off on my Mac Book Air after 2 or 3 seconds. I get the following message: iPhoto quit unexpectedly. Click on Reopen.....

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), iPhoto

Posted on Nov 19, 2015 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 11:38 AM

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

In Finder hold down the option/alt key while selecting the Go menu item. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you want to make your user library permanently visible, run the below command in Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2015 11:38 AM in response to jeheff guyon

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

In Finder hold down the option/alt key while selecting the Go menu item. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you want to make your user library permanently visible, run the below command in Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Nov 21, 2015 6:01 PM in response to jeheff guyon

I DO NOT have a solution. I did post information as Recycled Hoosier about my iPhoto crashes that are apparently related to attempts by iPhoto to contact Google-related sites at the current end of this thread:

Re: iPhoto 4.9.3 used to run fine on my Mac mini under Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Now it crashes a few seconds after launch …

Thinking about it further, a work-around might be to remove the iPhoto preferences file as explained in that thread, and then NEVER use the Info button ever again. Reiterating, since Apple has stopped development of iPhoto, there is zero chance that Apple will ever issue a program update.

Nov 21, 2015 6:41 PM in response to Recycled Hoosier

After a bit of testing, I have discovered that changing iPhoto, Preferences, Advanced, Look up Places to "Never" from "Automatic" DOES NOT prevent the crashes when Info is clicked.

Disabling ALL internet connections, wired and wireless, on my desktop mid-2011 iMac DOES prevent my iPhoto crashes when Info is clicked, regardless of the preference setting.

In my case, it SEEMS TO BE the internet connection between iPhoto and the two google api domains (listed below) that are APPARENTLY responsible for the all of my iPhoto crashes when the Info button is clicked.

I have now used Little Snitch https://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html to create rules to PREVENT these two troublesome connections, by disabling all outgoing connections from iPhoto to

googleapis.l.google.com and googleadapis.l.google.com

That DOES seem to stop the crashes on my system. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Nov 21, 2015 8:30 PM in response to Recycled Hoosier

SOLUTION, to remove two files as detailed below, is posted in the following thread, among many others, in the iLife/iPhoto area of Apple Support Communities.

Quoting user Old Toad,

The problem has to do with the Google map being no longer available for the location feature in iPhoto 9.4.3 and earlier.

User Huxly647 figured out this fix

1. go to the /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources folder

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

iPhoto will no longer crash while the locations feature is no longer a viable feature.

iPhoto crashes after clicking INFO on any picture

Nov 26, 2015 8:33 PM in response to Recycled Hoosier

Today I discovered that apparently the same Google-related link issue ALSO crashes my Canon MapUtility 1.6.0.2 camera software because it ALSO apparently attempts to use Google to show a map of the location where photos were taken.

mid-2011 iMac 12,1

12GB RAM

1TB HDD

OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion

Canon MapUtility 1.6.0.2

And, as with iPhoto 9.4.3, disabling all network connections causes Canon MapUtility to report no active network connection, instead of crashing constantly and immediately.

A quick search of the /Applications/Canon Utilities/MapUtility/ on my system revealed no google-related html files to remove or rename.

Interesting, that this disclaimer is contained in /Applications/Canon Utilities/MapUtility/Readme(MapUtility).app:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Canon Utilities Map Utility

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for purchasing a Canon camera. This README file contains the latest information about Canon Utilities Map Utility. Please be sure to read this file before using this software.

* Note

We cannot guarantee the continuous functioning of this software in the event of any changes to Google services or specifications in the future.

<EN><M><EOF>

(My bold and Italic emphasis added)

iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.