Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect 3 monitors to a Late 2013 Mac Pro?

I wonder what I am missing here?

I am using three non-apple monitors. 1 4k Visio, 1 Gateway and one Insignia monitor. Two of the monitors only run 1080 and the third runs 4k out of the hdmi output.

The 4k monitor only works via the HDMI output 'only' on the Mac Pro and doesn't work well via any thunderbolt conversion... Not only does it not work at 4k, but it runs at 1080 and flickers off and on every so often.

All the monitors are connected via different Bus's as according to the website link below.

I can get two to work anytime for the most part and I can hot swap plug and unplug and the monitors all seem to work, but never more than two. No monitors work at all if I try to adapt the 4k monitor via thunderbolt.

I have tried using both Thunderbolt(display port) to HDMI and Thunderbolt to DVI in various combinations with no luck.

This website is relatively unclear, though I may be missing something.

This page was not helpful and it was written specifically for my computer.

Use multiple displays with your Mac Pro (Late 2013) - Apple Support

Am I missing something?

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Late 2013

Posted on Nov 19, 2015 3:48 PM

2 replies

Dec 14, 2015 1:15 PM in response to ratpigtv

You can't use more than two passive adapters. The built-in HDMI counts as one when used.

Most Mini DisplayPort to HDMI or single-link DVI are passive. You have to look carefully to find acfive versions, such as:

http://www.accellcables.com/products/ultraav-mini-displayport-to-dvi-d-active-si ngle-link-adapter

http://www.startech.com/AV/Displayport-Converters/Mini-DisplayPort-to-HDMI-Activ e-Video-and-Audio-Adapter-Converter-Mini-DP-to-HDMI-1920x1200~MDP2HDS

How to connect 3 monitors to a Late 2013 Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.