Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBookPro does not recognize new Superdrive or CD.

Today, I received my new 13" MBP with Retina Display and a new USB SuperDrive. I downloaded and installed El Capitan. I have connected the SuperDrive (SD) but the computer does not recognize it. I have tried 2 different software program CD's. I can hear the noise of activity when the CD's are in the SD but no image on the desktop. Eventually the CD gets ejected. Is the SD defective? (or am I?)

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 19, 2015 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 7:00 AM

Greetings John Roehm,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

From your post, it sounds like you purchased a new MacBook Pro along with an Apple USB SuperDrive. The SuperDrive doesn’t seem to be connecting to your MacBook Pro and the disks are ejecting.

To troubleshoot this situation, I would suggest reading over and working through the suggested steps in the following article.

Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer - Apple Support

Have a great day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2015 7:00 AM in response to John Roehm

Greetings John Roehm,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

From your post, it sounds like you purchased a new MacBook Pro along with an Apple USB SuperDrive. The SuperDrive doesn’t seem to be connecting to your MacBook Pro and the disks are ejecting.

To troubleshoot this situation, I would suggest reading over and working through the suggested steps in the following article.

Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer - Apple Support

Have a great day!

Nov 21, 2015 8:38 AM in response to AppleJoe

Thank you! The answer was already in the discussion on the Apple site. Thinking about how Apple loves to see their logo everywhere, I had decided that the SuperDrive was designed for use with the Apple logo on the "up" visible side. Wrong. The article on the Apple site clearly says that the logo side should be down. I'll not try to analyze the company psyche again! I had searched the Apple web pages for help but had failed to find the correct instructions. Thanks again.

New MacBookPro does not recognize new Superdrive or CD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.