Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine/capsule backing up MS onedrive folder

Hi all,

I have mac with latest 10.11 OS as well as a time capsule and typical setup of time machine running to that capsule which all works well. I have a microsoft onedrive account and the onedrive folder enabled on my computer. I would like to retain backups in the time capsule as it currently functions for the files that I am syncing in the onedrive folder. My concern is that I am not particularly clear as to how the filesystem and time machine interacts or interfaces with the onedrive folder. My questions can be netted out a follows:

1.) Will time machine backup the files in the onedrive folder as normal

2.) When making changes to files that reside in the onedrive will all files in the onedrive folder need to be re-backed up - IE they are resignatured or something thus taking up excessive(non-incremental) capacity in the time capsule.

3.) Are there any other concerns about using timemachine/capsule with onedrive.

thanks for all of your help!

~Patrick

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 19, 2015 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2015 10:51 PM

Unless you have taken specific action in Time Machine to exclude the OneDrive folder from the backup Time Machine will put it on Time Capsule by default (assuming you told Time Machine to use the TC disk). If you have OneDrive on an external drive, Time Machine will by default exclude the external drive. Any change to a file in the OneDrive folder will lead to a new backup version of that file. If a particular file has not been modified since the last backup, it will not take up space in the Time Machine backup until such time that the file is modified. In other words, Time Machine will not back up all files in the OneDrive folder just because one file has been modified. Whether this is excessive depends on your preference / tolerance. I see no concerns with backing up the OneDrive folder. As far at Time Machine goes it is just like any other folder.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2015 10:51 PM in response to pckinzley

Unless you have taken specific action in Time Machine to exclude the OneDrive folder from the backup Time Machine will put it on Time Capsule by default (assuming you told Time Machine to use the TC disk). If you have OneDrive on an external drive, Time Machine will by default exclude the external drive. Any change to a file in the OneDrive folder will lead to a new backup version of that file. If a particular file has not been modified since the last backup, it will not take up space in the Time Machine backup until such time that the file is modified. In other words, Time Machine will not back up all files in the OneDrive folder just because one file has been modified. Whether this is excessive depends on your preference / tolerance. I see no concerns with backing up the OneDrive folder. As far at Time Machine goes it is just like any other folder.

time machine/capsule backing up MS onedrive folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.