Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Certificates broken after El Capitan upgrade: "Connection insecure…"

I have now upgraded two Macs to El Capitan, and in both instances the Certificates have been corrupted. The first Mac was the day after El Cap launch, and the 2nd was today - so a significant period of time has elapsed for this to be fixed.

This means that

1. You can't add new Google accounts in System Preferences > Internet Accounts - you get "Connection Insecure Failed to verify the server certificate. This could be because of your network configuration or proxy settings"
  2. Attempting to access Apple websites in Safari also gives a certificate un-trusted message. I'm guessing that if other SSL/TLS connections to *.apple.com that are under the hood fail to connect due to bad certificates, that can only be a Very Bad Thing™.

When this happened with the 1st Mac I upgraded, Googling around I was able to find other people who had experienced similar problems and they advised going in to Keychain Assistant > Certificates and deleting the Versign certs that were marked as untrusted. With the 1st Mac, this worked.

With the 2nd Mac, all of my Versign certs are marked as good. Is it possible to download a patch from Apple that will fix the Root CA store? How can this not have been fixed since the launch of El Capitan?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

2nd Mac is

Model Name:Mac mini
Model Identifier:Macmini6,2
Processor Name:Intel Core i7
Processor Speed:2.6 GHz
Number of Processors:1
Total Number of Cores:4
L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB
L3 Cache:6 MB
Memory:16 GB

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), MacBook Pro + Mac Mini + iPhone + iPods

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 5:48 AM

8 replies

Nov 20, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Linc Davis

According to this posting, there are 7 VeriSign certs shipped with El Capitan: List of available trusted root certificates in OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

I reset my Keychain and everything now seems to be working, although obviously my Mac has forgotten every login that was saved in it.

Keychain Access > Preferences > General > Reset My Default Keychain

Apr 14, 2016 3:32 AM in response to grahamixix

<sorry- unfortunately that hit the wrong thread, and I dont find an option to delete the post>

I have a problem aswell and hope this thread helps me so I don't have to open a new one.

I don't get the message "insecure Connection". I press "Okay" or maybe "finished" in english and nothing happens. The option just grays out and I don't return. I can cancel and just exit the Internet-Accounts window, but then there is no calendar 😟

Could somebody please help me solve this issue?
I need my google calendar on my Mac!

User uploaded file

Certificates broken after El Capitan upgrade: "Connection insecure…"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.