Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing NEF files to Photos - NEF files not showing

Hi,

Could anyone help to bring some light to this for me pleases? After Iphotos changed to Photos the NEF files (RAW) are no longer showing in Photos after import. Only JPEGs. Is there an other way ho to import them? I have tried to copy and paste manually from the SD card but it still does not show. Thank you

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 8:21 AM

Photos is stacking the pairs of RAW and JPEG files. It is showing the pairs as one photo. By default it will show the JPEG. If you want to see the RAW version, open the Photo in EDIT mode. Then you will see an option "Use RAW as original" in the "Image" menu. Click it. Now you are using the RAW file as the original image file.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2015 8:21 AM in response to Marzy35

Photos is stacking the pairs of RAW and JPEG files. It is showing the pairs as one photo. By default it will show the JPEG. If you want to see the RAW version, open the Photo in EDIT mode. Then you will see an option "Use RAW as original" in the "Image" menu. Click it. Now you are using the RAW file as the original image file.

Nov 27, 2015 6:09 AM in response to léonie

Hello Leonie,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I found today that one has to sort out images on the SD card by "kind" first prior to manually importing them from SD cart onto Photo. JPG to copy and paste then RAW copy and past. Doing the import like this will then show both files next to each other in Photo.

Nov 27, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Marzy35

You can also see both photos - JPEG and RAW - side by side, if you import them paired, but then use "Image > Duplicate" to create the second version. Then use the command "Use RAW as original" for the second version. This way you can se e both versions while you are working with the photo and then delete the duplicate, when you are done with editing and only want to see either the RAW or the JPEG when browsing. The duplicate will not need extra storage.

For example, I imported the the RAW+JPEG pair paired, but created the RAW version by duplicating the pair in Photos.

User uploaded file

importing NEF files to Photos - NEF files not showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.