Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPHOTO no longer works after upgrading to El Capitan

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this community looking for help with very limited technical abilities. So please be patient.

I recently bit the bullet and decided to upgrade my 13" (Mid July 2011) Macbook Air from OSX Lion V10.7.5 to OSX El Capitan V10.11.1.

I now have a few problems I need help to resolve. The first is with iPhoto. When trying to open iPhoto I get the following message:

In order to open "iPhoto", you need to update to the latest version.

The version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X El Capitan. Download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store.

When trying to update to the latest version 9.6.1 from the App store I get the following message:

Update Unavailable with this Apple ID

This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled.

The original iPhoto version came installed when I purchased the Macbook air so why am I getting this message and what can I do to resolve this issue?

After reading all the issues people have encountered I'm thinking I should have gone to Yosemite instead of El Capitan. Oh well lesson learned. Do your research before taking the plunge.

I'll discuss my other issues in a different post.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 7:51 AM

Mac OS X 10.10.3 and newer include Photos, which is intended as a replacement for iPhoto. If you'd like to go on using iPhoto in addition to or instead of switching to Photos, clickhereand try following the instructions; you'll only be able to do so if you previously associated iPhoto with the Mac App Store.

(136390)

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2015 7:51 AM in response to Sky Roch

Mac OS X 10.10.3 and newer include Photos, which is intended as a replacement for iPhoto. If you'd like to go on using iPhoto in addition to or instead of switching to Photos, clickhereand try following the instructions; you'll only be able to do so if you previously associated iPhoto with the Mac App Store.

(136390)

Dec 3, 2015 5:04 PM in response to Niel

Niel, I am in the exact same boat as Sky Roch. To clarify, are you saying that if a person only had iPhoto as part of their existing OS (in my case, OS 10.8.5 Mountain Lion), and never "associated" iPhoto via the App Store (one presumes this means upgraded iPhoto via the App Store), said person is out of luck and cannot download iPhoto again? If yes, this seems totally unfair, that by a previous app store association, those lucky enough to have done so can keep iPhoto, but those such as myself that never had an issue with the version of iPhoto that came with their out-of-the-box Mac Air, cannot.

Lastly -- and forgive my ignorance and lack of technical savvy -- is there or isn't there a version of iPhoto that IS compatible with El Capitan?

Dec 3, 2015 11:17 PM in response to Jess Pie

There is a version of iPhoto that runs on El Capitan: v9.6.1.

To clarify, are you saying that if a person only had iPhoto as part of their existing OS (in my case, OS 10.8.5 Mountain Lion), and never "associated" iPhoto via the App Store (one presumes this means upgraded iPhoto via the App Store), said person is out of luck and cannot download iPhoto again?

Correct.

iPhoto 11 was re;eased in the autumn of 2010, so you had 4 1/2 years to update. You chose not to.

If yes, this seems totally unfair

Contact Apple and tell them.

Dec 4, 2015 1:26 AM in response to Yer_Man

While I appreciate your tone of congeniality and sympathy for my plight, you're incorrect about me having 4 years to update.

My Macbook Air was purchased new in October 2013, so I had the app for a little over two years. And -- I had updated iPhoto as much as I could whilst keeping Mountain Lion (it came with OS 10.8.5 and iPhoto was consistently updated up through the lastest available version of iPhoto for that OS: iPhoto 9). Software update never alerted me to a version of iPhoto named "iPhoto 11". I ran my software update right before downloading El Capitan, and there was nothing available -- no updates -- to iPhoto.

FWIW, I only updated to El Capitan because Safari was getting rejected by Twitter and some of my favorite shopping websites as being out of date, and OS 10.8.5 had no further updates for me for Safari to fix Safari's woes.

But thanks again for your help and gentle manner in getting me to understand that I am SOL.
You've been so helpful to me, and others in this thread.
Oh -- and thank you also for speaking for Niel

P.S. Before updating to El Capitan, I WAS running iPhoto 9.6.1, due to updating iPhoto previously.
But now that I've updated to El Capitan, that version is mysteriously missing from my hard drive (or at least I can't locate it), and instead, in its place is iPhoto 9.4.3, which came originally with the Mac Air when I bought it, only now the icon for this version of the app has a circle and strikethrough drawn over it.

Dec 4, 2015 2:32 AM in response to Jess Pie

P.S. Before updating to El Capitan, I WAS running iPhoto 9.6.1, due to updating iPhoto previously.

You weren't.

in its place is iPhoto 9.4.3

That's the latest version of iPhoto that ran on 10.8.

So, you didn't have 9.6.1. There is no way to download it from Apple when on 10.8.

You had iPhoto 11. iPhoto 11 is a marketing name for v9 of iPhoto. Confusing I know.

If you had kept your Mac up-to-date, updating the OS and so on, you would not have this problem. You chose not to. You preferred to stick with a 3 year old version of the OS, you preferred to forgo two versions of the OS. Your choice. Take responsibility for it.

Dec 4, 2015 3:34 AM in response to Yer_Man

I concede it's quite possible I'm conflating iPhoto 9.6.1 with 9.4.3; it's not like I took screen shots.

However, first you told me it was my fault for not upgrading to iPhoto 11, and that I had 4 years to do so.

iPhoto 11 was re;eased in the autumn of 2010, so you had 4 1/2 years to update. You chose not to.

Once you learned you were entirely wrong about me having 4 years to update to iPhoto 11 since I've only owned my Mac Air since fall of 2013, you then blamed me for not updated my OS -- but did so admitting that I indeed had the very version of iPhoto --iPhoto 11 -- that you accused me of not updating to for 4 years.

Terence Devlin wrote:

That's the latest version of iPhoto that ran on 10.8.

So, you didn't have 9.6.1. There is no way to download it from Apple when on 10.8.

You had iPhoto 11. iPhoto 11 is a marketing name for v9 of iPhoto. Confusing I know.

If you had kept your Mac up-to-date, updating the OS and so on, you would not have this problem. You chose not to. You preferred to stick with a 3 year old version of the OS, you preferred to forgo two versions of the OS. Your choice. Take responsibility for it.

First of all, if you re-read my original post, I directly asked Niel my question. I didn't address you; I did not ask you for any input. Second, if you again re-read my post, I never asked you (or anyone else) whether or not they agreed with my statement that it seems unfair to lose iPhoto altogether just because one did not go to the app store and upgrade to 9.6.1 on OS 10.8.5 -- which you now say was impossible to do all along. Third, I understand that YOU think it is entirely fair that if one chooses to stay with an older version of a Mac OS, they should lose iPhoto; that it is their fault for not upgrading.

Here's a tip for you when responding to questions addressed to other people by name:

If you can't directly assess or at least infer the situation correctly the first time, don't bother answering with a response that doesn't fit. If you want to butt in to a question asked of someone else, do so with precision so you are at least helpful when asserting your technological dominance over others.
[Hint -- Your response should have stated something along the lines of the following: "If you didn't upgrade your OS to at least version XX, it was impossible for you to keep iPhoto in any version once you upgraded to El Capitan. I think this is fair because x, y and z (i.e. all people who elect not to upgrade do so at their own peril; are idiots; are people I mock and deride, etc.). I, Terrence Devlin, wish to point out that the advice given by Niel is incorrect, because if Sky Roch had OS 10.8.5 at the time he/she updated to El Capitan, it doesn't matter what version of iPhoto he/she had because it would be a version OTHER than iPhoto 9.6.1, because iPhoto 9.6.1 is impossible to obtain using OS 10.8.5!, which of course dooms him to losing iPhoto once he updates his OS to El Capitan. -- In other words, all you losers who don't upgrade your OS deserve to lose your iPhoto, losing iPhoto when upgrading to El Capitan is entirely fair"]

Now that's how you provide actual HELPFUL feedback, and be a DB at the same time!!
When being a DB, at LEAST be helpful!

That's my tip for the day, Terrence. And Niel, sorry I didn't get to hear from you and that Terrance hijacked your opportunity to respond. You, Niel, seemed like a nice guy who got satisfaction from actually helping people.

Dec 4, 2015 1:04 PM in response to Yer_Man

Yep it sure is an internet forum, and likewise you don't get the make the rules or get to decide what other people post. Which enables other people, thankfully, to set you straight when you go off topic, provide responses to questions that were never asked, and generally editorialize your feedback in an unhelpful and condescending manner.

Most people reading this thread realize you are here to feed your own ego rather than help people. And they realize that despite whatever Apple savvy you may possess, after posting 136,790 times in this forum, you remain woefully lacking in technical writing skills and communicating your savvy to others. Please accept this feedback, and if you can't: Don't read it.

You have a nice day yourself!

Dec 15, 2015 4:44 PM in response to Yer_Man

Update:

I made the plunge and spoke with Apple directly. Let me be the first to let you all know that Terrence Devlin, for all of his snark and condescension, did NOT know what the **** he was talking about. Here is the answer:

-- El Capitan does NOT support ANY version of iPhoto whatsoever.

-- The iPhoto version 9.6.1 showing as available in updates is NOT a working stand alone version of the iPhone app in El Capitan; rather, it is ONLY for the purpose of integrating iPhoto into Photos. Furthermore, as we speak Apple is working on REMOVING iPhoto 9.6.1 as an available update for El Capitan (as it shows in my "available updates" in apps) because they have had numerous complaints of people trying to keep iPhoto who dislike Photos, and iPhoto 9.6.1 was never designed for this as explained previously.

So, contrary to all of the blather Terrence Devlin spewed out about people losing out by not updating, etc., it did not matter whether one upgraded iPhoto to 9.6.1 in iTunes with their apple ID prior to upgrading one's OS to El Capitan or not -- NO verison of iPhoto, whether previously updated or not, was EVER going to work with El Capitan.

It was Niel's answer that was partially correct, the part where Niel says "Mac OS X 10.10.3 and newer include Photos, which is intended as a replacement for iPhoto." The part Niel said about "If you'd like to go on using iPhoto in addition to or instead of switching to Photos, click here and try following the instructions; you'll only be able to do so if you previously associated iPhoto with the Mac App Store." is actually incorrect.

El Capitan is UNABLE to run any version of iPhoto.

Thanks to those to tried to help in earnest.

Dec 15, 2015 4:53 PM in response to Jess Pie

My only purpose in writing is to correct the misinformation in this post. I do this for the benefit of others who may read it and be confused.

-- El Capitan does NOT support ANY version of iPhoto whatsoever.

This is untrue. How do you explain all the people who have successfully updated to 9.6.1 and have it running on El Capitan? Really. Search the forum and see the hundreds of posts from people who asked and how and were able to do it.

-- The iPhoto version 9.6.1 showing as available in updates is NOT a working stand alone version of the iPhone app in El Capitan; rather, it is ONLY for the purpose of integrating iPhoto into Photos.

This is equally untrue. It's not even necessary to upgrade to 9.6.1 to migrate to Photos.

The rest of what you write is based on this basic confusion and so can be safely ignored.

iPHOTO no longer works after upgrading to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.