Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer data from a water-damaged MacBook Air

I accidentally spilled some water on my Macbook Air and I let it dry for 2 days but it can not be turned on right now. Also, when I tried to plug in the power cable, the light on the cable did not turn on. I think some parts might have been burned.

So I am thinking about buying a new one. And i read some threads that long as the SSD is not damaged, it can be taken out and connect to a new mac as an external device.

I wonder if I can bring in my damaged macbook air into an Apple Store and anyone can help me transfer the data into my new Macbook?

Thank you!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 7:19 AM

2 replies

Nov 20, 2015 10:42 AM in response to LifterMike

Depending on the model year, you may be able to find an external enclosure for your SSD but I think 2012 models are the last year you’ll be able to do this for. Frankly I’d be leery of plugging an SSD from a water damaged computer into my computer as it could damage the logic board of the new one. This is an instance where I’d take the dead computer to Apple and when purchasing the new one ask for the data to be transferred.

transfer data from a water-damaged MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.