Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation and Siri not working - iPhone 6s with iOs 9.1

I just got my iPhone 6s a couple of weeks ago, it currently is running iOs 9.1. I enabled siri and dictation because i've always used them regularly with my previous iPhones. Yesterday I noticed that even though everything was enabled and no buttons were grayed out the dictation will not respond when I try to use it in my messages, and siri will not respond either. I have tried restarting my phone, turning Siri and dictation on and off, and doing a general reset to my settings. I'd appreciate it if someone who has already done so and had a positive experience fixing this issue would tell me how the issue was resolved, because the closest Apple store to us is a good 3hrs away.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 9:02 AM

9 replies

Nov 21, 2015 7:09 PM in response to jojoguitar

So I not only could not hear the beep but also could not hear Siri! I saw a suggestion to change the country and did it manually but no luck. THEN, I pressed the Siri button and said "speak/talk with your voice". It brought up settings and I changed to Australia. It worked AND I hear beeps! Not the first but subsequent beeps I hear! Hope this helps! PS-Don't fix what is not broken Apple!

Nov 23, 2015 1:40 PM in response to emikel09

iPhone 6

iOS 9.1

Hello emikel09

please explain to me, old man, where this dictation setting is. I am not able to locate a dictation setting,

In General/ SIRI I have SIRI on or off, I have it ON, I have Allow HEY SERI, Language is English, American Female Voice Feedback Always, and my info, I don't see a dictation setting.

And when I ask SIRI where is the DICTATION SETTING ON MY PHONE she says IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE YOU HAVE THAT APP,

Is this dictation a separate APP? or is is supposed to come with 9.1 iPHONE 6

Nov 23, 2015 4:35 PM in response to jojoguitar

No, it is not an app. If you go to settings, then General, find where it says keyboard and at the very bottom there should be an option to "Enable Dictation". I know some people have simply had to turn it off then back on again and that has fixed their problems, but that wasn't the case for me. The Factory Reset seems to have fixed my issue.

Dictation and Siri not working - iPhone 6s with iOs 9.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.