Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External harddrive died that had my vaults on it HELP

My raw files seem to be referenced to an external drive that died. I've tried to reload them from the original SD card, but it doesn't seem to be working. I can't edit them - as they show "offline" status. I've tried the options: Relocate original with the sd card in, but it wants the failed hard drive. I have thousands of pictures! Anyone know how to reconnect my aperature photo files that were in a vault again? H E L P !

I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet when I get this figured out and migrate off Aperature. I don't like Photo's unless they come up with a lot more editing options and using external editors.

Thank you.

Karen Vasser

*** I bought a new iMac with a 3TB drive so I don't have to depend upon external hard drives anymore.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Aperature 3.6

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 9:40 AM

1 reply

Nov 28, 2015 12:43 AM in response to KTVasser

Karen,

you cannot reconnect the originals while they are still on the card.

Copy the originals from the card to a folder, where you want to reference them and keep them.

Then select the images with the offline originals in Aperture and use the command "File > Locate Referenced Files" to pint Aperture to the missing originals. See this Manual page: http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/index.html#chapter=5%26sec tion=16%26hash=apple_ref:doc:uid:Aperture-UserManual-91292BSR-1037600

To reconnect an offline referenced image

1. Reconnect the hard disk holding the referenced image’s master, or otherwise locate or make the file available to Aperture for reconnecting.
  2. Select the project that contains the offline image you want to reconnect, or select the offline image in the Browser.
  3. Choose File > Locate Referenced Files.
  4. If necessary, click the Show Reconnect Options button.
    User uploaded file
  5. At the top of the dialog, select the file path for the master that you want to reconnect. A thumbnail of the image and some identifying metadata appear.
  6. In the bottom half of the dialog, navigate to the location of the referenced image’s master on the hard disk and select the master.You can follow the file path listed for a selected image in the top of the dialog.When you select the file, a thumbnail of the image and metadata appear, allowing you to compare them to the thumbnail and metadata in the upper part of the dialog to make sure you’ve selected the correct file.
  7. Click Reconnect to reconnect a specific image, or click Reconnect All to reconnect all selected images.

Regards

Léonie

External harddrive died that had my vaults on it HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.