Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes on Snow Leopard

let me start with: OK, I get it... apple wants to not support older systems... totally fine...i'm not mad

bare with me, because the level of frustration I am experiencing with this is crazy! So I might not be completely clear here!

when i went to upgrade my iphone 5 to IOS9, under snow leopard 10.6.8, using itunes 11.4 (like i have always done).... after the upgrade it told me I can't use itunes 11.4 with the new IOS9...without any form of warning beforehand.... I find this completely WRONG! OK, so... I have decide to NEVER sync my phone with itunes on the computer again.... (also debating on if I will ever buy a mac again (been buying them since 1988)....

so now... i can not do a thing with my phone on itunes 11.4, I have deleted all the back ups...and now whenever I want to listen to my music via itunes 11.4... i get this error about every five minutes!!!!

"The iPhone "_____" cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes."

I have:

1) deleted all the back ups

2) have my phone to back up to icloud

3) have don't sync automatically

4) i can not use itunes 12

Also keep in mind... I get this error box regardless if the phone is plugged into the computer or not

HOW do i get rid of this box from popping up?

IS there a way I can get itunes to forget this phone ever existed?

IS there a preference I Can delete that recognizes the devices?

all i want to do is use my itunes 11.4 with my music and not get this box anymore

HELP!

iMac 27" 2.66 GHz i5 8GB ram, Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 1:30 PM

11 replies

Nov 20, 2015 4:45 PM in response to Klaus1

hello...Klaus and thank you for taking the time to reply.... but unfortunately.... I am not looking to upgrade my system, or get iTunes 12 anymore... i just want to remove any trace of my phone from itunes... yet if you re-read what I wrote.... I constantly get this message: "The iPhone "_____" cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes." regardless if my phone is connected via USB cable or not

Nov 22, 2015 9:11 AM in response to Eric Root

Am I trying to sync my phone with iTunes. Not at all. I have abandoned the idea of syncing my phone with itunes since I can't upgrade to iTunes 12.

I Believe the setting was set before I upgraded to ios9 on my phone. But I get that message regardless if the phone is plugged in or not.

I Want my iTunes 11.4 to FORGET that my iPhone even existed.

Nov 22, 2015 5:04 PM in response to Delox

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this non existence of your phone 😝...I have the same issue with my Snow Leopard (10.6.8) MBP and iPhone 4s iOS 9.1 .I started using Spotify and Believe me this is very frustrating for me too! It seems that the only way is to upgrade the Mac OS X version because , let's be honest, there is no way Apple will pubish a new version of iTunes and also stopped signing the previous "working" versions of iOS. In other words there is no way to downgrade iOS...

Dec 6, 2015 4:27 AM in response to Delox

I have exactly the same problem: I use a (relatively) new MBP on El Capitan for syncing my various devices, and the old iMac for Photoshop, playing music and web browsing. If I upgrade OS on the old iMac I'll have to pay for new Photoshop, so I am perfectly happy leaving it on Snow Leopard while 'up to date' jobs are done by the MBP.

BUT just like you I now get annoying pop-up messages on the iMac every five minutes telling me I can't sync my iphone, even though it isn't connected. Looking round forums I for advice I've tried deleting the backup in preferences and the folder in Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup. I've also used terminal to reset SyncServices. Nothing works so far!

All I want is for the iMac to forget that I have an iPhone...is that really so much to ask?

Dec 6, 2015 7:49 PM in response to JWof84

THANK YOUUUUUU!!!!!! you are the only one who understood my question!!!!!!!

I too have also tried the mobile sync files... but I had a feeling they have noting to do with how itunes works....

what really bothers me... is.... i cant change any settings because the phone wont show up in itunes.... its just a ridiculous way to design things!!

and that is all I want too (stop with the alert boxes!!!!).... I will admit... the last few days... it has been become less frequent... but i get it at least every time i plug in the phone (via usb) to upload pictures.... at the very least!

itunes on Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.