Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using my two iPod classics in my 2016 subaru forester, it plays for about 20 minutes and then stops requiring a reset. haven't hit the dealer yet becasue i got a runaround on problems with my 2010 subaru and use of same iPods that work on other cars

using my two iPod classics in my 2016 subaru forester, it plays for about 20 minutes then stops requiring a reset. reset can be done, but obviously somthing is wrong. recently restored both iPods, 160 and 120, and operation is the same. both iPods work in our other vehicles with no problem.

haven't contacted subaru dealer yet. got runaround on these iPods and problems with operation in my 2010 forester. didn't seem that subaru knows

how to fix any problems. anyone having such problems or has anyone gotten theirs to function. thanks much.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), also iPod classic 120GB

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 4:58 PM

I think I found a solution to the iPod classic problem on Subaru. I also have a 2016 Forester and iPod was locking up all the time. The culprit seems to be album art. I used the following procedure to get rid of album art on the iPod:

1) copy your iTunes library for later replacement of library in which you will get rid of all album art.

2) erase all album art from the iTunes library. You can do this by selecting all albums, then Get info, click on the little icon on the upper left of the Get info panel and hit delete (iTunes 12). It takes a long time to erase all album art if you have a large library, so be patient.

3) Manually synch your iPod with you art-less library, music only.

4) Replace your modified iTunes library with copy that you made earlier to get the album art back.

Over the last week, the iPod has not locked up once. Some album art shows up on the music console, but that seems to be low-resolution preview art. I don't know where it came from.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2015 4:58 PM in response to killerw8

I think I found a solution to the iPod classic problem on Subaru. I also have a 2016 Forester and iPod was locking up all the time. The culprit seems to be album art. I used the following procedure to get rid of album art on the iPod:

1) copy your iTunes library for later replacement of library in which you will get rid of all album art.

2) erase all album art from the iTunes library. You can do this by selecting all albums, then Get info, click on the little icon on the upper left of the Get info panel and hit delete (iTunes 12). It takes a long time to erase all album art if you have a large library, so be patient.

3) Manually synch your iPod with you art-less library, music only.

4) Replace your modified iTunes library with copy that you made earlier to get the album art back.

Over the last week, the iPod has not locked up once. Some album art shows up on the music console, but that seems to be low-resolution preview art. I don't know where it came from.

Dec 1, 2015 9:08 PM in response to bluejademonika

thank you, bluejademonika...soiunds promising, but it does tear my heart out as o0OBillO0o mentioned...like ripping off the album covers

of an lp collection. i've got about 17k songs so far and haven't decided which way to go. 000Bill000 raises an very interesting point: "Do you

think Subaru will bother with a radio update? "they're the ones who bought the picayune operating systems that they put in our 2016s."

i'm thinking of getting in contact with subaru's techs and also cc in the CEO or US equivalent if there is one and outline the situation and

their responsibility in this. there's also the lemon law stuff, but i don't know how it all works. it's a question of no covers, or pulling over

on the interstate every 20 minutes to reset my iPods....or just guess what's playing and who the artist is. then again, we must be watching

the road and not waiting to see "kind of blue".

haven't decided, but if i can decide, bluejademonika has shown some hope. thanks to all and if i get anything from subaru, i'll be back to y'all.

Dec 4, 2015 6:57 AM in response to killerw8

Overwriting a whole iTunes library from a backup is really no big deal. In any case, the problem with iPod classic is not unique to Subaru. People with BMW's and other cars have the same locking problems. Aux input works, but then you cannot control the iPod from the console or buttons on the steering wheel.

As someone pointed out on a Subaru forum, one does not have to go through the procedure I described above. A quicker way is to delete the Artwork folder from you iPod. The folder is hidden, so the procedure requires making all files/folders on the iPod visible.

- Make sure the iPod has Disk Use enabled and is visible on the desktop.

- If iTunes is open you can quit it.

- In Terminal, type the following to unhide files (be warned that this commands unhides all files on your Mac, including those in the root directory):

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

- On the iPod, find iPod Control>Artwork folder and delete it and empty the trash

- In Terminal, to hide invisible folders again write:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

If you re-synch your iPod with your iTunes library, the process will place the Artwork folder on the iPod again, so you will have to erase it again.

using my two iPod classics in my 2016 subaru forester, it plays for about 20 minutes and then stops requiring a reset. haven't hit the dealer yet becasue i got a runaround on problems with my 2010 subaru and use of same iPods that work on other cars

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.