Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have just downloaded El Capitan and new emails that I write cannot be sent.they just flash on and off the screen.How can I fix this problem?

I have just downloaded el Capitan to my MacBook Pro. Any messages I write cannot be sent; they just flash on and off the screen. Mail downloads normally.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 2:45 PM

19 replies

Nov 20, 2015 6:13 PM in response to 4muriel

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

If you have an account on Pastebin, please don't select Private from the Paste Exposure menu on the page, because then no one but you will be able to see it.

Nov 21, 2015 7:19 AM in response to Linc Davis

I am sorry but I don't understand your instructions. In Finder I could not find Go or Utilities.What Console Application am I supposed to type in? I am not a very adept computer user and I may need to take it in to someone who can just fix it. I have had problems with my mail programme before and my internet provider was able to help me correct the network problem. Thank you for your help.

Nov 22, 2015 11:32 AM in response to Linc Davis

2015-11-22 2:27:00.448 PM CalendarAgent[323]: [com.apple.calendar.store.log.caldav.coredav] [Refusing to parse response to PROPPATCH because of content-type: [text/html; charset=UTF-8].]

2015-11-22 2:28:17.136 PM iconservicesagent[414]: -[ISGenerateImageOp generateImageWithCompletion:] Failed to composit image for descriptor <ISBindingImageDescriptor: 0x7fb6f9617ec0>.

2015-11-22 2:31:03.036 PM sandboxd[142]: ([374]) storeaccountd(374) deny file-write-create /Users/murielmcveigh/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/ProductionBag

I picked out three descriptions

Nov 23, 2015 4:46 PM in response to Linc Davis

2015-11-23 7:39:33.898 PM Mail[474]: XOAUTH2 requires user

2015-11-23 7:39:33.898 PM Mail[474]: Failed to start the SASL connection

SASL(-1): generic failure: XOAUTH2 requires user

2015-11-23 7:39:34.058 PM sharingd[265]: 19:39:34.057 : SDConnectionManager:: XPC connection invalidated

2015-11-23 7:39:31.386 PM sandboxd[143]: ([352]) com.apple.Addres(352) deny mach-lookup com.apple.cdp.daemon

2015-11-23 7:39:34.111 PM syncdefaultsd[491]: com.apple.mail has been removed from syncing apps.

2015-11-23 7:40:36.066 PM Safari[488]: KeychainGetICDPStatus: keychain: -25300

2015-11-23 7:40:36.066 PM Safari[488]: KeychainGetICDPStatus: status: off

I hope these lines give you the info you need. I had to turn the mail programme off to write this as the screen kept changing.

Nov 24, 2015 6:42 AM in response to 4muriel

If you're using Gmail, log in to your account on the website and, in the account settings, click the link to "Sign-in and security". There should be a option somewhere on the page to "Allow less secure apps". Enable that option and save the change. Note: I don't use Gmail and I haven't tested this solution myself. If it doesn't work, either go to the Google user forums for help, stop trying to use Gmail with Mail, or just stop using Gmail altogether (highly recommended.)

I have just downloaded El Capitan and new emails that I write cannot be sent.they just flash on and off the screen.How can I fix this problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.