Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I buy more RAM or a new iMac?

I have a mid 2010 27in iMac with 4GB of RAM... Should I buy 2 4's to upgrade to 12gb RAM? Or should I buy a new iMac? I don't want to update now and buy a new computer next year? Will this current iMac be good for a while, or is it being phased out? I don't want the next OS X to make this one obsolete. I use mostly for pictures and the web. Please let me know.

Thank you.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 6:36 PM

6 replies

Nov 20, 2015 7:26 PM in response to Patrick1425

12 GB RAM should be great for a 2010 for mostly pictures and the web. Running the newer OS versions does require more RAM - 4 GB is generally considered to be the absolute minimum. There will be a new model available about every year, so no matter when you buy it, there will be a new one coming out. And, at the same time, older models are phased out - this is just business as usual with electronics. There has to be a newer, bigger, better, more this and more that all the time. So, the best thing is to buy one when you need one or when your current one no longer does what you need it to do.

If you do decide on getting RAM for now, make sure you get it from one of the two most recommended RAM vendors here: OWC (macsales.com) or Crucial. And, also remember, that your current iMac is 5 years old which is considered somewhat outdated/old for an electronic device.

Nov 21, 2015 6:57 AM in response to Patrick1425

Hi Patrick, I have a mid-2010, 21.5 inch i-Mac that until a few months ago had only 4 GB of RAM. I felt I could get better performance with more RAM and add two 4 GB of RAM from OWC for about $100. That, and resolving some OS X updating issues, dramatically helped. This machine works well for me. I was planning on a new i-Mac soon but now feel I have some years left in this machine, barring an HD crash or some other disaster.

Should I buy more RAM or a new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.