Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i set up files on my hard drive to be backed up in iCloud?

How do i use iCloud to backup my macbook files?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Webex meeting center

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 7:54 AM

iCloud is not designed to backup a Mac. It does offer the ability to backup iOS devices (iPhones, iPads, iPod Touch).

If you go to Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud, you can turn on iCloud Drive. After doing that you can copy files to the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac and they will then be both on your Mac and in iCloud Drive at https://www.icloud.com/ but note that it is designed primarily for making the files available for sharing to multiple devices using the same Apple ID and is not designed as a backup. For example (and there are other reasons), if you accidentally delete a file from iCloud Drive on one device it will be deleted from iCloud and from all of the other devices connected to that iCloud Drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2015 7:54 AM in response to m1mulkey

iCloud is not designed to backup a Mac. It does offer the ability to backup iOS devices (iPhones, iPads, iPod Touch).

If you go to Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud, you can turn on iCloud Drive. After doing that you can copy files to the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac and they will then be both on your Mac and in iCloud Drive at https://www.icloud.com/ but note that it is designed primarily for making the files available for sharing to multiple devices using the same Apple ID and is not designed as a backup. For example (and there are other reasons), if you accidentally delete a file from iCloud Drive on one device it will be deleted from iCloud and from all of the other devices connected to that iCloud Drive.

how do i set up files on my hard drive to be backed up in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.